Discussion why do mc from japanese novel felt nothing when they're exiled/banished/kicked out from the party?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ShadowAscetic, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as what was written in the title, why do they felt nothing when they're exiled/banished/kicked out/cheated/or even killed?!

like the mc was killed in real world then he reincarnated in a different world and he was like "okay my gf cheated on me and i accidentally beaten to death but so what? i reincarnated and meet the goddess anyway"

or when they're exiled to a barren land they were like "oh my engagement was broken and i was exiled in this barren place but so what? slow-life yooo~"

or when they're kicked out from the hero party they're like "i'm actually the strongest in the world but they didn't know so i'll do nothing~ what is revenge? i don't know~"

sorry for my bad grammar, i just want to rant about this weird phenomenon in japanese novels

sonhot likes this.
  2. Epythymy

Epythymy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause they're beta pushovers?

If they weren't like this they wouldn't be exiled/cheated in the first place.

sonhot, sixnein, Sabruness and 4 others like this.
  3. Smile_for_me

Smile_for_me Isekai enthusiast/ knovel lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe its the "im too cool to worry over this" personality type

Sabruness and ShadowAscetic like this.
  4. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    They do feel things, it's shown not told most often.

LysUltima, JustKeiko, bkwusa and 2 others like this.
  5. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    usually plot to give a revenge angle or if not to indicate that the MC is DIFFERENT and since most jp mc are bland self inserts

TO ADD FLARE INTO THEIR CHARACTER which is often bland beta and less interesting than grass

sonhot, ShadowAscetic and Toralk like this.
  6. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    They move on like nothing happened because as far as any meaningful plot or character development goes, nothing did happen. The opening bullying/betrayal scene never has anything to do with the kind of story or character the author wants to write, it's just an excuse for the MC to act like a selfish A-hole and/or let the author wallow in self-pity vicariously through his MC.

bkwusa, Asf, Fuyuneko and 1 other person like this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    They write what they know about, asian culture puts massive expectations on you, angry boss yelling for not working hard enough when you're doing double the hours. Being able to leave a toxic surrounding and having a 'laid-back' life, with soy sauce and lolis to heal their broken psyche, that's the way of the JP MC. :blobpeek:

bkwusa, AliceShiki, Fuyuneko and 5 others like this.
  8. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, from most of what I've read, they get hit with a life changing encounter before can truly get twisted by it.

But I'm kinda ok with it? I've tried to think of it as the best revenge is to be happy. Why think about some douche, who'd probably get off on the fact that your whole thought process is about him? Just snuggle with catgirl waifu instead.

LysUltima, bkwusa, AliceShiki and 4 others like this.
  9. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Most jp novels with revenge plot usually just focused darkly on revenge itself. Or just, like those anime, where the mc usually begins massacring a whole kingdom.

So, those jp novels with that kind of mc just tends to forget about the past exp to continue life leisurely.

I dunno, why it's like that. Maybe, jp tends to be more straightforward and single minded in their plots.

Like if the mc wanted revenge, then expected it to be a novel with dark plot.

And if the mc still wanted revenge, but the plot instead tends to be more heart warming, then expect the mc there to forget about his/her revenge, cause sooner or later, even if the mc didn't move the plot itself will do the revenge automatically. And the mc will go "I don't really plan to kill them, just want to teach them a lesson." Or something.

ShadowAscetic likes this.
  10. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    A blank slate of an MC is easier for people to relate too/live through vicariously. By not having a real reaction, the readers will be able to project themselves better into what is happening. That doesn't mean it'll make for a good story though

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer to this is found in the books that do this. Generally, these books shy away from social interaction which means that this just doesn't matter as much to the character (and likely the author as well). If being part of a social group is less important, then getting kicked out of that group is also matter less.

Another reason is that the early part of the story is purely used as a prologue - its purpose is to get the protagonist in position to get to the real story. This early element is unimportant so no much attention is going to be given to it.

12. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they're laid-back people? :blobcheeky:

13. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This, to many people do not understand subtle writing, or characters not reacting the way they themselves would.

Plus there is a lot of burn out and the symptoms of abuse/neglect present in these characters, which to many non-Japanese angsty teen readers do not understand what it really means. Especially considering the amount of people who seem to expect or demand instant 180's for the MC over symptoms that take years to fully recover from by any realistic standard.

14. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    So there are a few different cases.
    1) They didn't see it coming and are shocked. Then, while they still haven't come to accept what happened emotionally, something else shocking happens (but in a good way) and they become busy enough they don't have to think about it. Usually later they have to confront the feelings of that time, to varying degrees of writing skill.

2) They saw it coming, and aren't surprised. Generally they were looking forward to leaving but felt an obligation to stay so far because they keep their promises, but being kicked out was a good excuse to do what they always wanted to do.

3) They were aiming for the exile to begin with, and thus are eager to start their new lives.

In all of these cases, this is just a template prologue that sets up the rest of the story. Kind of like how murder mysteries basically start with a random person discovering a body and maybe the detectives hanging out somewhere else before getting a call and then opening credits, or a hallmark romance movie starting with a career woman living in the city deciding to take a break and go to the countryside. Being in a job with an abusive boss or another abusive relationship is something many people can relate to. It's something like a dream to be kicked out by the other side (because quitting is against japanese culture), discover your talents, be recognized by someone, and find a new job / become your own boss / etc where you aren't treated like a slave.

LysUltima, bkwusa and AliceShiki like this.
  15. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Modern education is very effective, and people are generally very cooperative.

If you want to see an example of a japanese protagonist that does whatever he wants and has the revenge mentality,
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/summoned-slaughterer/

16. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's this. they are punked by the people in the party and don't have the balls to stand up to them so they just accept it.

it's also part of the whole wish fulfillment thing where people regret their decision and didn't see the true worth of the guy but now it's too late. this is the novel equivalent of going to the gym and getting shredded because your girl left you or going to a high school reunion as a major success to rub it in the faces of the people who picked on you and the girl who turned you down.

sonhot likes this.
  17. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The trend of MC in Jpn's isekai ln maybe like that?
    Or maybe what you've read was those with light comedic tone. I've read some serious one that didnot do whatever you read there.

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a lack of a sense of self.

Chinese novels have it too but in a different way: They do not reclaim their names but pick up the new body 's name.

It is the reason I love Return of Mount Hua Sect. He reclaims his name the day he reincarnated

19. Eskapisti

Eskapisti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have also made the same observations as you and am often times as equally annoyed by the lack of righteous anger, spite and honestly, even reactions of JP protagonists. As someone already mentioned, those responses are usually found only when the novel's plot is solely focused on revenge and not when it's the usual slow life fantasy.

I'm just talking out of my ass here as I'm not really that familiar with Japanese culture, but I have long thought the reason for my own annoyance with these kind of characters to be partly because of cultural differences.
    I would consider my own country to be one where individualism and self worth are emphasized while growing up. If someone here were to read about the character's lack of response towards the actions you described, they would probably consider it wrong somehow. Maybe not absolutely pathetic, but along the lines of 'maybe he's just shocked at the moment' or something. The whole thing of completely brushing it aside or sometimes even trying to justify the antagonist's actions that the JP protagonists have going on just wouldn't fly.

To my understanding, Japan and many other Asian countries are way more collectivistic in nature and thus, the need to defend your own pride and self worth is snuffed out while growing up. That's why it's so frustrating for a westerner like myself to read about these kind of characters even if I try to understand their actions. I do enjoy revenge stories in general so maybe it also comes down to personal taste.

TL;DR: Lack of a sense of self as the one above said.

sonhot likes this.
  20. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad writing.

GDLiZy likes this.