Why Fan Translators Will Betray You

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah this community seem missuse fans translator term alot we can thanks ww aka wuxiaworld for introducing donate system that make base for vague term on fans translation hmm I think fans translation get broader definition from general perspective thanks to that

sure older generation from baka-tsuki era may have different opinion but I assume those who came after donation/patreon system established think translator who gain monetary to certain extents still can considered as fans translator
    19656.png

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Raphenox

Raphenox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That grey line is something that is hard to differentiate. However, just saying it's hard to doesn't make it impossible or right to just ignore the discrepancies. IMO, I believe in cases like these, people can be labeled as both a fan translator and a paid translator where people have a justification to be pissed off when their chapters are not translated as promised when they "paid", i.e. the case where the translator for Release That Witch went missing prior to the novel being moved to Webnovel. Sure, you can say "donated" as a euphemism, but really your paying for a service to have someone do something they otherwise would not. In contrast to the current money model that is being presented in this thread, readers have the option not to purchase chapters and the novel will still be translated, hence the dual identity.

Once you move on from that and officially translate for the purpose of making money, then yes, you're a contractor/entrepreneur. It should be noted that the distinction needs to be and should be made since there are plenty of people who still do "fan translation" not just with novels, but with manga, anime, visual novels, etc., with the purpose of bringing joy to others. They may ask for donations, but it is still optional and not for the purpose of earning their keep. Just because novels have exploded doesn't make it correct to start changing this distinction.

asriu likes this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this is where our opinion differ as I never think pocket money is fan despite create by fans so it end here
    still I do agree full blown bussines or thing made by wuji can't called as fans work or something like that

Wujigege likes this.
  4. NovelReaderAnonymous

NovelReaderAnonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He gotta make sure people still remember he exist.

Psst here a secret, he never actually has anyone on ignore list even if he say he does...

These threads are always fun to read, always fun to read Wuji's weekly bullshit posts when people feel compelled to play along with him.

Sabruness likes this.
  5. Raphenox

Raphenox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right! :D But I feel ignored when he doesn't answer my post. It's like losing a lover. :cry:

6. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on perspective, this is a problematic thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.