Discussion Why I can’t finish MDZS

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by NaverGirl, Jun 3, 2020.

1. NaverGirl

NaverGirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it I, or just my eyes and head hurt from reading MDZS. Don't hate me but after reading chapter 30, I (kinda) drop it. I love the fandom from YouTube which was the reason why I started reading it, but after reading it I feel like I read the 3000 rules from Lan Sects Wall. Xianxia really dries my brain although I really want to read it, I just can’t find any motivation to do it.

Help me change my mind.

2. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    whats MDZS?

3. Neelambori

Neelambori Silent Passerby

Reading List:
    Link
    Why bother if you don't want to. It isn't typical 'yaoi' or fluffy story and has a deep plot as you know. Naturally it reads more like a novel then a web novel and is difficult to translate as some words are not found in English. The translator did their best. My words are drop the novel if it's too annoying for you, why force yourself.
    MO Dao Zu Shi - Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation

4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    the authors works are generally confusing
    mainly because of the many names a single character can go by. I feel that it helps to have a name chart of the characters.
    there is one for heaven official's blessing with the character photos and their names but I havent seen one for mdzs

some parts of mdzs may get boring(even I felt so) but some mini spoilers for the later arcs are exciting enough for me to pick it up from where I stopped.

I had 1 year of rest from mdzs before I started reading it again, maybe that will help you.

and also, I only remember the names of the main cast so the story doesnt get too complicated in my head. (eg wei wuxian(yiling patriach), lan wangji(hanguang jun), lan xichen(zewujun?), jiang cheng, jin ling, lan sizhui, nie huaisang, wen ning and other characters that are not the focus of the story but still good people or the family of the main cast)

whitespade likes this.
  5. 12

12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:
    I'm doing some translations of MDZS fanfics and also excerpts from chapters referenced in the fan fic. So maybe try bite-sized excerpts first? Who knows, it might whet your appetite for full chapters and you can try the novel again later :cookie:

6. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    I empathize~ I started reading it because one of my favorite artists really appreciates the author... q.q This title take a lot of energy to start and to continue reading... TT-TT Now that it's finished translating, I've been meaning to restart it but then I remember how much energy it takes to get used to it again.

Agree with above that it doesn't read well as a webnovel. q.q

I guess, the pro would be that you can now try to finish it in one go and don't have to worry about it again. And you'll be able to get all the references.

7. TamedFox

TamedFox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I first read it, I felt like that too but I took a few breaks and continued again. Maybe you just need a break?

Even I felt that it was boring but if you continue you'll see some exciting parts like the Yi city arc. For me, the part at the near end is really exciting. The first part is where the structure is just being built and when it's finished, you'll realize how amazing it is.

Just remember how much you want to see the pairing get together, how much you want the misunderstandings to be solved, or how much you want things to be explained.

You definitely want to see the scene with Madam Yu like definitely. You definitely have to see the scene with Jin Zixuan. Definitely.

You can watch the donghua and live action or read the manhua but the novel has a better way of explaining the story

8. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Loved the anime of it, it was nice to have a cultivation anime that wasn't full of awfull CGI. But then i realised it was going toward yaoi and yep, looks like the novel is tagged yaoi, what a bummer.

9. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not obviously gay in the anime and drama.
    there is a lot more focus on unveiling mystery than romance.
    in the novel, only the later chapters have obvious romance. the hints can be ignored if you dont like it

10. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, it's ruined for me, what i tought was just bromance was actually a romance, and like i said, i noticed the yaoi vibe from the anime and i can't unsee it anymore, yaoi is just a huge nope from me.
    I'll just hope that we'll get at some point another good cultivation anime that isn't yaoi but i won't hold my breath

11. asyx

asyx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pity. I'm not a fan of yaoi, but mdsz is genuinely good. deal breakers be deal breakers though

12. asyx

asyx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just watch the donghua instead.

13. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, maybe it's because I'm Chinese, but I never felt that Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation was difficult to read at all... I think I finished it (in translation) in a couple of days when I first picked it up? I felt that it could get a bit too overly description heavy sometimes, but nothing too unreadable. (But then again, I did break my teeth early on with western high fantasy. Boy, were there some writers who really loved writing endless descriptions in those...)

Have you tried any other xianxia BL? Maybe it'll help reading some lighter xianxia to help you familiarize yourself with the genre if you aren't already? ...Though MDZS is actually pretty much xianxia-lite... more of a xuanhuan than anything... Maybe a wuxia or something first, then...

But if you really can't do it, there's no need to force yourself. Everyone has different tastes after all. Maybe xianxia/xuanhuan just isn't for you.

Suranchan and lazyasianscientist like this.
  14. NaverGirl

Reading List:
    Link
    soooo lucky im not the only one

I love yi city arc on manga, I haven’t read it in novel yet tho.

I haven’t read xuanxia and xianxia BLs before. This is my first time. But I enjoyed some historical bls like war prisoner and cold sands and I think they’re wuxia . I really love the yi city arc when I read the manga. I thought I should give it a try in novel, I haven’t reach that part yet on the novel. Maybe I should take a break then read again

15. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Like you, I even dropped it twice then picked it up after a few months and no regrets at all. But tbh, I like HoB much more than GDC. But GDC is still up there inn my fave list,

16. NaverGirl

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I might like TGCF. I saw a glimpse of animation on YT, and I’m in-love! I expect more smutty chapter but I heard that even Chinese Censorship affects the novel soo maybe it’s shounen-ai. All I can say is I’m hooked with the story line. Maybe i’ll read it soon

17. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I say watch the cartoon and read the comic first. Then you can visualise everything better. Dont watch the live action until you read the novel since they change some stuff, you will get confused

18. cotton mortal

cotton mortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally think the live-action adaption follows the novel super close, except the adding of the Yin Iron, and it goes more into characters build-up whereas the novel lacking in that area. That's just my opinion.

The donghua also has its ups and downs too - the wangxian scenes were restricted and season two is just ...

Overall, all the adaptions have their pros and cons, and the original novel will always be the best.