Why is DS so popular?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Linbe, Feb 7, 2017.

?

Why do you play dark souls?

1. I'm an M

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Many reasons but mostly cuz I'm an M

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm secretly an M

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. I'm an M but I don't know it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
  2. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i just love the combat system, art style and the story
    one thing that annoys me though is how vague the character "quests" are. There are so many things you can do wrong without knowing that you'd be doing something wrong

3. Mlaser

Mlaser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dark Souls is popular because is hard. But not only that, Dark Souls is a fair game. There are traps everywhere, but if you look with attention you see the danger.

People like Dark Souls because is rewarding. You fell happy overcoming challenges, and is not challenge that only the character grow, you as a player grow too. Experienced Dark Souls players find the game easy, and it's a nice thing.

PS: A video of Dark Souls worth watching

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. dniv

dniv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The New 3DS/3DS both have a lot of good games IDK. There's Fire Emblem Awakening; there's Fire Emblem Fates (which admittedly has a shit story, but is good nonetheless); there's bravely default and bravely second which are both great games; there's Pokemon X/Y, ORAS, and Sun and Moon which are all really fun especially the latter; Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon which was also great; AA 1-3 remastered, Ace Attorney/Layton crossover, Ace Attorney 5 (dual destinies), and AA6 which are all really great games, especially the last two; Dragon Quest vii,viii (which seem fine), Zelda Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask remake, Ocarina of Time remake which are fine, Smash 4 for 3DS which is alright, and lots of other things I don't play which look good like various Etrian Odyssey remakes, various Monster Hunter games, Shin Megami Tensei games, and lots of other Nintendo games... Personally, I think there are a lot of great games on that console so of course it's popular. There are a lot of other games as well, but those are my favorites. Not to mention the Japanese eshop has a much larger selection of good games... :/ all of which I'm still too bad at Japanese to understand.

Anyway, the point is, it's a great console. The reason it isn't as popular as it used to be (even though it's actually very successful) is that lots of people play app games because not as many people care about playing real video games anymore. And the older and busier people get, it's hard to invest as much time into story based games that make you sink into them and take up your time. This seems to be a trend as far as I can tell anyway. I personally dislike App games in comparison, but people have their own preferences so whatever.

Claire the Lunatic likes this.
  5. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made one more....

Reasonable Guy likes this.
  6. Reasonable Guy

Reasonable Guy ❄Highschool Memories❄ ❄Boy of Zeta❄

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it just me or there are 3 thread with the same title. 0_0

7. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe because it's a well-designed, challenging game?

8. Fukoda

Fukoda Time wait for no one

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    rare game with challenge

9. Hashimishi

Hashimishi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    meaning +7 ? .-.

10. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    You're crazy, it's obvious that yosuke is best waifu

monstermaaaaan likes this.
  11. something123

something123 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sorn-3DHTC8

Reading List:
    Link
    Max graphics = meh games.
    Meh (decent tier) graphics = good games.

Consoles that focus on maxing graphics tend to attract crappy games, because graphics is difficult and absorbs a lot of time.

Having the freedom to release relatively subpar graphics, allows more investment in making the game actually good and fun.

DS has workable graphics and a lot of fun games.

Truerror likes this.
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nintendo's handhelds are popular because they're handhelds, and because there are tons of games made exclusively for them.

In that vein, all games with subpar graphics would be great and those with good graphics would be shit, and that's patently not true - they're almost all equally shit. Game design has been shit for a decade, nothing new there. Almost every new game out, regardless of graphic quality, makes many of the same mistakes every other game does, shares a fuckton of similarity in gameplay and design with all the others, and, hell, is probably riddled with bugs that will never be fixed. If it's a sequel in a series of games, it's definitely inferior to the previous games in the series. If it's the first game in a new series, the next game or two will improve on it or at least maintain the same level of quality, and then every game after that will be a slippery slope downhill.

13. RickyTheKind

RickyTheKind 『Isekai Pending』

Reading List:
    Link
    Main Reason Kids XD.... hahahaha XD I have PSVITA 3DS... and Im planning to buy the SWITCH in the Future XD

14. Mlaser

Mlaser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One question here how the f*ck the post changed to nintento DS discussion? the first time i replied did'nt have any post mentioning Nintendo, just Dark Souls. Is this bugged or people just starting discussing editing their posts?

15. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if you're talking about Nintendo DS or Dark Souls, but...

I played the first Dark Souls mainly because of the hype surrounding it.

Honestly, it's not really that hard, you just need to learn the patterns of the bosses and react accordingly.

I think I died some 20 or so times on my first playthrough? Never bothered to do a second one.

It's a fun game, but not enough for me to play much.

16. archx

archx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would get the DS for Pokemon and Mario.
    Vita has pretty much died at this point, especially with the Sony specific memory cards that are crazy expensive. You may get more enjoyment from a PSP

For some reason I thought this was a Nintendo DS thread instead of Dark Souls.

17. ballster147

ballster147 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I died 100 times trying to kill 2 ogres barehanded at the start of the game.................................................................................
    THats my first play