Resolved Why is 'not like the other girls' a thing, and what is it

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lurking, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just girls. that is people in general.

Girls, women, and females in my own observations in my life are more critical of themselves and of other girls, women, and females. There is tribalism in every gender but it is more apparent in this particular gender (which I am a biological part of). The women are more 'social' and more likely to band and bond with each other and men are seen as more independent. So, if you're like me who grew up with a more traditional mother (aka very feminine), she expects me to conform to her idea of a daughter. Which of course, is very contrasting to my personality. While I don't know if I ever put any other female/women/girl down for their more visible femininity, I get scolded and reprimanded for being not like them since I am never the conformist anyway.

Is it possible that people like me who aren't really feminine simply don't care?
    With regards to men, I am better with friendships rather than romantic interests.
    And the contrary can be true. sometimes, it is often the more feminine women who put down other women who are different simply because the 'other' is seen as competition for a romantic interest. Which is often not true. I guess this where the friendship between women and men should end.
    Maybe, I am an outlier for most things in this world.

Okay, I just I ma an outlier to this definition too.

Oh fuk, Now, I'm a narc.

Lurking and Anra7777 like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was scolded at times for not being feminine enough. Doesn’t sound as though I had it as bad as you, though. Which is why I so identified with the protagonist of “You Belong With Me,” because I always preferred wearing sneakers and such. (I also have bad feet, and am supposed to wear only sneakers anyway, but that’s another matter. Heck, I wore nerdy sneakers at my own wedding because my feet couldn’t stand the white dress shoes my mother had once bought me.) Reading the comments that you were replying to, I feel as though perhaps this thread may be trying to self correct too far in the opposite direction, and we’re actually ending up disparaging some women. (The comments you picked certainly make me think we’re going a little too far.)

Lurking likes this.
  3. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I say this kindly but Pls stfu about Sjws already. Its 2021. Gamergate was in 2012. You have to let it go. Find a new buzzword to overuse or circlejerk about.

FIEND, Mnotia, Furiae19 and 2 others like this.
  4. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    there isnt one simple answer

people are all very different. The nail that sticks out should not be hammered down, for no nails are the same and indeed, none of us are nails.

yes! i understand that completely. why cant men and women just be friends haha

seriously, why do some assume any attention is a look to assess if fuck. fucking is far from the only thing in life
    not necessarily mhm. thats complex stuffs

happy new years everyone

Anra7777 likes this.
  5. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone seen that clip of gone girl

The protagonist is basically trying to pull the "not like other girls" for her hubby. But then later her hubby cheats on her cause he found a new "cool girl/not like other girl" so she snaps and murders. I think that defines the phenomena well.

Like its nice to he masculine and all. But once you start touting it as superior or implying that it is to all those other silly sheep females you become cringe. And that's where the problem lies. Saying your version of a female is better

Newsflash. We are all like other girls.

Mnotia and Lurking like this.
  6. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't "Not like the other girls" just a meme now where some 14-16 year old girl does something that is seen by older people as something that most girls do and they then say "I'm not like the other girls" then people laugh cause that's exactly what the other girls do?

FIEND, reagents 11 and Martialegg like this.
  7. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Individuality or be different by itself is a good thing.
    Its just the meaning has become twisted with fulfilling with one's ego and become self centered. Espc for teenagers.

In the first place, dressing codes are something that you cant control completely. Espc females. You dont wear clothes just because you want to wear it, but actually because you will be seen by others and people will evaluate you from it.
    Reputation and others' respect will affect your future career and life, whether you care about it or not. You will have a much easier life if you have them.
    Ofc, some people valued something more than it, but more often than not, it is an impulsive behavior that teens would regret in the future when they are trying to find money.

8. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is my go-to buzzword. I am a conservative but I don't use "SJW" to describe all progressive- or liberal-minded people, for the record.

9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Beats me. If you hold prejudices to the whole lot of the 'other women' then yes it's a narcissism. Like i said the premise that someone have this jaded belief is that they think they think their struggles or problems are greater than everyone else.

10. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    did you just call all disabled people narcs since they have greater struggles and problems than others? im curious.

equality isnt a thing, some people do have worse struggles and problems.

Anra7777 likes this.
  11. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    For some cases yes. I agree equality isn't a thing. It never was which is why whining about them get you nowhere.
    I'd say bold of them to assume they're the most miserable in this world just because they're disabled somewhere. Misery and suffering is always subjective.

12. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I've noticed two variants of that:

Not like other girls A: Everyone is so put together and here I am in my unwashed for 7 months bra and stringy hair. - Self-deprecating, feeling a little inferior, not sure what they're doing wrong. Relatable if you ask me.

Not like other girls B: Not putting tons of makeup, fake nails and short skirts with stilettos like those other bimbos cause I'm a girl who reads books. - The quirky intellectual who looks down on girls who don't share her hobbies, looks down on "drama" and "backstabbing bitches" and would rather have guy friends cause they're "less complicated".

Variant B is more woman-hating as you can see and it stems from insecurities, competitiveness among girls, and desire for attention and approval, as usual.

Then there are pick-me girls, who are even worse cause they're setting women back a hundred years in order to appeal to men who look down on them, while putting down other women for seeking self-fulfillment.

If you're more interested in tropes about women (in fiction and otherwise), look this channel up: https://www.youtube.com/c/thetake/videos.

PS. One needs to realize those girls don't deserve hate, only pity. Their circumstances in life have probably set them up this way. Hopefully, they'll grow out of the woman-bashing competitive mentality and live a happier and more fulfilling life.

northerner, theilikepie and Lurking like this.
  13. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    this doesnt have anything to do with narcissim. do you know what a narc is?

and just since someone else out there is suffering more, doesnt mean someone suffering less isnt suffering.
    20210101_173431.jpg
    https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/a28690119/what-is-a-narcissist/
    ^you may check this for a very brief overview of what a narc is. im also including a checklist. neither people struggling with disabilities nor women who dont give a shit about peoples opinions qualify as narc.

Screenshot_20210101-173313_DuckDuckGo.jpg

14. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    i think this topic has been solved. i ...dont know how to shut down a thread before further degeneration

Silver Snake likes this.
  15. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    You report it or tag a mod.

Lurking likes this.
  16. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Not like the other girls means "Hey, I like things that aren't conventionally popular with normal people." or "I hold the same likes as you and thats why I am different."

Some people say "Well, shes not like other girls." When they're in a relationship they think will go far....usually they don't.

Also, its one of the terms that people use to put others down by diminishing the emotional value someone gives to another.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Lurking likes this.
  17. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Dm a moderator/admin and ask them to lock this thread.

I do it all the time.

18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Locked.
    The correct way is by using the Report button on the posts in the thread. A PM would take time until that specific staff is available to notice it.

Anra7777 and Mnotia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.