Question Why some novel have racism?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by npksq, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    you cant say none of the plots need racism. Sometimes plans or plots revolve around it entirely.

Also you ignored the spirit of what i've written.

"Believable part of the world." Alright dude, that confused me a bit because you said "in the world" and if you mean the real world then i assume you wouldnt care about whatever faction is racist so long as its believable.

If you meant you wouldnt care about elves and dwarves being racist in the story, though, simply because thats the setting of the world...then my response is "how THE FUCK is that different from japs being racist towards china tho? Its not. Dwarves/elfs is the exact same thing as any race or power in the real world being biased against one another. Its just a label. "

I;ll be straight: YOU WILL NEVER ESCAPE GEOPOLITICS IN NOVELS. Fiction or not. Just wont happen. You dont wanna encounter real world stand ins in novels, is what you actually mean. FIne, long as you realize its still gonna be geopolitics. Cuz just because the names are different and the circumstances are different, if a story tells you about a rough history between nations...thats geopolitics right there. Its all the same whether its in real life or the novel, so why are you getting so upset over it? The names dont matter. You'll read about one faction or race hating on another regardless, see? Stand in or not.

And i mean what would justify racism for you? i dont think it has to be justified at all in stories, cuz it cant be justified. Explained, maybe, but even then. LIke i never had it explained to me why some races or cultures hated each other. Im fine with that. Does a story have to explain it? No. I dont think so. They could just say "X and X hate each other, i dunno why " and i'd just roll with it cuz thats how it was for me too. Its just something i knew now and thats all i needed. I didnt really care about why one faction disliked the other or need it explained.

2. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s also the propaganda Chinese communism shoved into their citizens faces everyday. It’s a hard life for foreigners depending on where you live

3. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course, there's other reasons, an instinctive fear of what is different, for example...

But there's simpler reasons as well; one friend makes a joke, you one-up him with a better joke, another friend one-ups him, it escalates, you make a racist joke without thinking, since it's just a joke, what's the harm?

See, I myself sometimes tell racist jokes, even with black/chinese friends, i tell gay jokes with gay friends, they tell spoiled white guy jokes with me, we tell dumb blonde jokes with du-*cough* with blondes...

Then of course there's people in our current situation, (should've started with this, really) people are afraid, frustrated, looking for someone to blame in difficult times. This does not make them bad people, i can't say this enough, it just makes them human. And humans don't always think when they act. Especially when stressed, or when you want to impress a girl or friends, or when mad,... things you don't mean slip out, or even things you do mean, but would never say, or things you think will be funny, or hurtful, but you don't really believe.

people are simple, yet a lot of simple things make complicated situations...
    Like computer code, simple 0's and 1's, but put enough of them in good combinations, and you get great programs, put them in bad combinations, and you get great viruses.

Put a person in a perfect scenario, and you can have him act good, bad, lazy or motivated... but sadly, the world isn't perfect, and people even less so.

Wujigege and Vilidious like this.
  4. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I think people care about things too much and try to avoid taking responsibility for their own circumstances so much, that they end up lying to themselves.

I mean, what I am now is my fault and caused by my weakness; the same as what I am able to do better than some others is caused by my decisions and actions.

I'm an engineer, so not exactly a human but a lamentable subspecies, but I still have a body resembling a human... that's the best way to describe it with my level of exercise and desire for it.

As such, I'm just as lamentable as all other meat bags out there... whether they're cleaners, homeless people or celebrities.

I'd in fact go one step further and categorize myself as just a physically living thing, so I'm not really better than animals either... in fact, many/most animals make more effort for their survival and desires than I do.

At least house cats tend to hunt prey outside; I order home delivery with my phone.

I'm worse than an animal, with less ambition to boot.

The money for it was even earned from writing mental structures that no one else will probably like and will delete sooner or later, leaving the result of my life and all my work as something as significant as a fart in an empty elevator.

Thinking that I'm superior to Asians, Americans or my local brethren is the least interesting thing I can do (if it's not as a joke).

I have my sights much lower than that, and expectations for life are already flat lining.

I believe that's how we get the most harmful racism gone.

Besides, to me racism is more an opportunity... if a large number of other men are racists and think f.ex. some Asian women as undesirable, then I have way less competition for finding a partner.

Of course, not that I'd be acceptable even with that advantage.

I'd recommend a cat or a dog instead.

They're usually at least cute, positive, constructive and make an effort.

Oh well, time to stop all this positive thinking and go to sleep.

I might need it with this level of drivel.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    yep. Like i said pal, i dont trust mfkers who claim they aint at least a little racist. In fact, if they say that they might just be racist towards YOUR race. Then you gotta worry about if they the cute, harmless racists or if they have white pointed hoods in their closets.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I see it, you need to spend 10 years with a race in order to not be racist.
    I use to hear Chinese as gibberish before and mock it. That's racist even if it was playful.
    After about a decade, I can actually sing along.
    But no one can spend a decade with every race. It's impossible

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes the author is racist.
    Sometimes it's because it sells.
    Sometimes it's because of censorship.
    Sometimes it's because the author felt a racist character would make for an interesting plot point.
    Sometimes it's... Because.

Who knows why they have it? It's up to the author, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.