Discussion Why the obsession with the Adventurer's Guild

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MH2, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    In almost every fantasy novel there is an adventurer's guild
    Usually the guild is not afflicted with any nation and is independent
    But what bugs is how can such a thing in medieval times be allowed especially when they are at war
    You have these seasoned monster killers in your nation and you just let them do what they want
    Especially at that time, conscription was the norm
    And apparently anybody can be an adventurer and having records of each and every person in the whole continent is unrealistic
    The only thing that might justify this is by magic( magic records, and all) but the guild still presents a huge threat to the nation(if the enemy bribes the adventurers for ex) and sometimes restrictions are so slack that any one can infiltrate them

Usually the MC is assigned rank F, then he does a quest rank SSS and finishes it but they promote him to D cuz the plot can't have him Ranking up too fast

A good example is when overlord did it and they didn't stretch the ranking up and even in later volumes explained how the adventurer's guild functions and it's relation ship with the government

But in other novels, adventurer's guild is not given any depth whatsoever
    I don't play any MMORPG so I want ask others if there is an adventurer's guild in these games( I don't know the origin of this guild anyways)

AHKoT, DCLXVII and Nyarlathotep like this.
  2. Raven_King

Raven_King Keeping an Eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    Mercenaries. pure and simple. they register or they are known as bandits. best rl example would be private military companies

Cryarc, Human, Zerith and 5 others like this.
  3. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they're considered to be mercenaries

Edit: looks like someone beat me to it lol

Human and Raven_King like this.
  4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a teenager's romance

5. Aoyos

Aoyos Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Similar things have always existed though regardless of the age. Private armies and hired armies (mercenaries) have always been a thing and they still are. Having an Adventurer Guild just makes it a bit more formal and also more fitting for a fantasy setting in a different world with magic.

6. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually, mercenaries exist beside adventurer's and are viewed as shady
    Adventurer's use the tactic of parties so gamers can relate( doesn't work in real life but hey fantasy)
    Mercenaries usually as fight as a small squad (Idk why they are weaker than adventurers though)

Raven_King likes this.
  7. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    Teenagers grow their common sense and individuality as teenagers (or at least I am)
    Join me

8. Lunician

Lunician Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really can't expect a novel to be realistic unless they are trying to go with a kinda realistic approach like Release that Witch
    Edit: forgot to add a word :|

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean they could at least go half way instead stating it with no explanation how it could exist

10. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just light novels and their tropes. At some point they become standard and nobody even tries to differ from them. It's pretty much the same with the standard character archetypes/personalities that plague the genre

Aiiee likes this.
  11. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it's how authors don't bother to describe what a tsundere

12. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, it is not like every single country is attacking the terrorist organizations or crime organizations right? Think of it like that. I know they are not really same but they are both kind of things that are necessary, unless they are going crazy with their power. Its called controlled crime or something like that. In adventurer's guilds case it is more like an organizations that doesn't require to be controlled and still provides defence and nurtures talents to fight against monsters that could easily level cities. It is an organization that noone would mess with unless they come at them first, which is unlikely because adventurer's guild isn't ruled by one person, it is ruled by guild masters in every big city. And since most of them won't want to have anything to do with wars unless there is a profit, they won't just go attack a nation all of a sudden. And even if a guild master or several of them wanted to attack a nation and become rulers themselves, adventurers wouldn't side with them since all of their families are citizens of those nations and either themselves or their families would get involved in a war and probably die too.

Fr0stb1te, AHKoT and MH2 like this.
  13. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What on earth is happening and here I thought you were talking about our community game made by @Ldyrdy Adventurer Guild.
    Lol...

14. Vedastra

Vedastra [I.....See....You.....!!!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Author need MC to have job that give quick money, full of action, "plottable", and have enough freedom. So Adventurer

15. Elawn

Elawn 『Binge Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    All of those novels are 'fantasy' novels, I think the genre is self-explanatory enough.

16. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    The Adventurer's Guild can in most cases be described as an international handymans & mercenary guild combined.

Instead of having lots of unskilled people being poor, they can just help them help other people for small jobs (the incity jobs, cleaning ,repairing and all that).
    Instead of having skilled fighters potentially becoming bandits or actually participate in wars against you, they can fight monsters and help other people.

I mean, name one JP somewhat medieval fantasy novel where there's a world with actually no monsters at all between any cities.

Cryarc and Flyingfrogslash like this.
  17. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    There were not many job options those days. So , a group of people got together and said, "hey, life is never so easy. So why not make a guild , like the alchemist guild where instead of making potions & selling it. We fight like mercenaries and get money, in a more formal & honourable way. ". The other guy, will say " ah! That's alright. But what abt the king.". The previous guy said, "Fuck, them. We will bribe them too and help them in grave times by exploitating more money."/ " Cool.". & that's how it all started

Next time, don't make another thread. Why do they use magic?

18. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Your mistake in this matter is trying to apply any type of logic to these novels.

19. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    To keep records of the civilians so they won't hire anybody with a criminal record
    And no I won't make another thread( why should I anyways?)

20. Victor DoUrden

Victor DoUrden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As laughably stupid as the concept is usually played out it does have a spot of realism as they can be seen as Mercenaries but more than just going to war fighting type Mercenaries. Would be more extremely realistic to play it off as a Hunters Guild but without records cuz then entire records thing is hilariously bullshit. In a dangerous world a gathering of people willing to put their life on the line for money is plausible. All in all yes it is a Trope that is played in an unrealistic fashion and typically in a really stupid way. Quite silly really when it would be very easy to write it out to be very realistic. The removal of stupid identification cards or silly letters and rankings would be an obvious first step.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.