Why you must use mac ?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by TheNewGuy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people buy Macs for the brand and for the feeling of exclusivity. You can have what Apple products offer you for cheaper. the ONLY good I see in Apple products is that their products look streamlined but that was back then. Now, everything is becoming sleek and streamlined. Also I feel that the employees of Apple ARE DUMBASSESSS!!!! How is a facial recognizing poop emoji "AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FEATURE FOR SMARTPHONES" (quoted from the iPhone X unveiling). Also I feel that Apple has run out of ideas and are just trying to make products to sell to make the shareholders happy.(Quite sad as they were once seen as pioneers of the smartphone industry and now HAVE to steal features from other non-mainstream phones and take all the credit, as in they make it look like they were the inventors of the feature) I used to see them as somewhat innovative in their design and some features were "cool" but they took YEARS to implement features that were in almost every smartphone at the time BUT Apple's. Apple then unveils their next iPhone with the feature and makes it seem like they were the ones to pioneer the technology. B*tch please! Water Proofing!! The Samsung Galaxy S3 had it and it wasn't even available for iPhone until the iPhone 5. Also Apple just sees their customers as cash-cows that're overflowing with cash and need to be milked. I mean come on, $300 for a home button replacement and if you go anywhere else, your phone gets bricked(as in can't access anymore) and you can't access your IOS account on another iPhone. Another way pointing out that Apple is running out of fresh blood and is needing a revamp is the facial recognition feature! Does Apple even realize how many women there are in the world that use heavy makeup, what if they aren't wearing any and have to apply heavy makeup JUST to access their phone. They also made it sound like having your thumb over the home button is SUCH a massive time waster, try having to hold it in front of your face for a good 5-10 seconds and sometimes it doesn't even works as the lighting could heavily influence whether its you or not.

2. isekaishousetsu

isekaishousetsu Karakuri Pierrot

Reading List:
    Link
    Although this is purely anecdotal, all mac users in my year bought the mac because they thought it was the 'best' computer because of apple's branding and marketing. Then later in the semester, they start to regret buying the mac while most just suck it up. It's not because the mac was slow per se. But it's just troublesome to use it because you'd be in the minority rendering your workstation incompatible with a lot of other work mates.

If you know what you're doing, a mac or a pc is fine.

Edit: he shouldnt have complained at the prof anyway because he could've requested a student copy straight from the makers of the software themselves. Arguing your mac is better is pointless. Just go with what gets the job done. Whether mac, pc, linux, etc.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the past Mac's had little amount of virus compared to windows - and back then virus were out of control. Mac had the ability to load fonts better, window had problems with to many fonts on a PC. Mac also rendered faster than a PC, so for graphic designers and the like it was a far better option than a PC. Now a days these things aren't as noticable as before. A PC with a core i5 6600 8gb ram and gtx 1050 is really good and won't lose out to a Mac.

4. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well. . . .
    specs? the hell that's for sissy's. . .
    why not become something like this guy?
    [​IMG]

PS: ohh and Daru is also good. .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    The apple is rotten.

6. Oblivion

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes Apple is smooth in their performance BUT there is a caveat to this. Apple DOESN'T expect you to have your phone for more than a year so they can buy the cheapest batteries that will go bad withing a year and can still get away with it. Other phone brands will choose higher quality ones, as in the batteries will not go bad as fast since they know smartphones aren't exactly cheap, theirs at least(also depends of the brand). Also their service is TOO overpriced. While it is easier to find parts for iPhones, its not exactly easy DIY, which usually forces people to go to wither Apple or a phone repair store. Other phone brands will have parts but they won't be listed as "Samsung S8 Battery" they're most likely to be listed by their official name or the name of the product, ex. EB-BG950ABE Replacement Battery. Other phone brands are usually easier to fix, that from my experience at least

King0Mik likes this.
  7. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    I never once have an apple since I'm a middle class of the society. Hell I can't even buy new phone, only got my dying tablet that is given by my older sister.
    But seriously I tried using an apple of my brother-in-law everything confuses me (might because I'm not used to it).
    The price of the apple though will make my eyes bleed. So I rather buy cheaper one.

There is also compatibility with other phones. We got notes taken in picture and shared it through Bluetooth in our phone.
    Well here is our apple-user friend crying cause he can't get the notes due to apple phone settings mwahahahaha.

8. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in my uni the one using linux is the prof who has master degree or a straight up doctor who know what to do or he required it to their "side job".

about bulkiness, hell we have a class where we need to dissasamble old rollroyce nene engine or old russian mi engine

and about computing power/price ratio, is it the same/ better given processor is the same with my friend $1000 pc (both is i7), with less ram... and hdd....

9. Oblivion

Reading List:
    Link
    People see the brand usually and see it as a way to flaunt your money. "Hey guys, I just bought this $1000 phone check out how much spending cash I have and I must have a good wallet/bank account!!!"

JinVodka likes this.
  10. Midnight Rain

Midnight Rain The 5th is around~

Reading List:
    Link
    then use the doors....

as for me... apple isn't worth the price.. for the same price you spend on apple you can get much more for others.. so... *shrugs* some people just have an "apple mania syndrome" which is caused by the brand i guess?

11. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Your friend is useless. Just send the pics through messenger.

12. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your professor recommends "high-powered" PC, because (depending on the actual task) CAD softwares could take a lot of processing power. As an example, here's the minimum and recommended system requirements for AutoCAD 2016. Scroll down to where it says "Additional requirements for large datasets, etc."

I don't use CAD softwares, but my sister is an engineering student and she uses it. Or at least about to. She's planning to take a course that requires it. And now she needs a powerful laptop that's also light enough to lug around (she's a small girl, not enough physical strength). And it got me stumped.

Also, I see lots of people bashing Macs in here, so I guess I'll address it (even though I don't work for Apple :blobexpressionless:).

That's too much of a generalization. There are many varying reasons why people choose a Mac. Think of the people who develop OS X/iOS apps for example. I'm pretty sure they understand the difference between RAM, HDD, Processor, SSD, Motherboard and etc.

There's also the fact that Macs (whether it's a laptop or desktop) come bundled with better screen than the vast majority of other PCs out there. This appeals to those who design as a living (graphic design, that is), especially if their works need to be printed. Many of them have praised the Mac's screens for not only being high-res, but also for the colors they display.

True, there are people who buy Macs just to look cool. And there are lots of them. And I can agree if you say they're overpriced, though to be fair, some PC brands are also overpriced (case in point, the Surface lineup and Alienware). But we must also remember that Apple's products do have their own merits. So they're maybe overpriced, but they're certainly not junk.

Beats by Dre. Now THAT'S overpriced junk. And given the crappy quality of both its build and sound (and the price tag), we can safely assume that the people buying this crap (as opposed to being given it as a gift, because freebies are always nice) only buy it for fashion and the "cool factor".

13. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Well what I can say. I'm just using a phone that has no apps just plain old Bluetooth.
    It was 5 years ago~ apps are still not popular and the era where the touchscreen phones are starting to get popular on my country.

14. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    Won't be able to give you the engineering/comp sci explanation you want, but I know that Mac is generally used for the arts.

Art-wise (like drawing), their tablets are like the best for drawing, and I believe someone mentioned that they have better screens.
    To my knowledge, a lot of musicians use Mac, but this may be because there's Mac-only programs, such as Logic. Not too sure about this tho. :x

15. Sheep

Sheep Best Original Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    i did said Mac is good for design work. i'm just saying you are paying for brand more than spec.

alienware price = mac price, but alienware at least give you a GTX10XX instead of intel graphic.

16. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Understandable then.

17. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm using a P* version of windows 7, soI don't care whether Mac & cheese is optimized or not.

18. TheNewGuy

Reading List:
    Link
    i know mac is good for music or cinema guy
    but is it that bad for engineering field ?

19. isekaishousetsu

isekaishousetsu Karakuri Pierrot

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not bad per se.
    But as an engineer, why would you use something more expensive and troublesome when you can just use something else that does the job fine/better but cheaper?

20. TheNewGuy

Reading List:
    Link
    this been in my head for sometime, i can understand the gank war of amd vs intel for power/price, but this apple optimization been haunting me lol