Question Will you pay?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Trashpack, Aug 11, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much do you spend on books online?

1. Even more

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. 50-100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 10-50

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. 1-10

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Only read what’s free

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  6. I’m a pirate

31 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. Trashpack

Trashpack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How often are you willing to pay for online books or locked chapters? Because i have been debating with myself on whether or not to pay for books online Authors put out (for example Wattpad) but the fear of being disappointed on the quality keeps me at bay on the other hand I think paying for locked chapters stacks up too quickly and its not worth the price. what do you do when money is involved? How much are you willing to spend? And should I spend the money?

2. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the story.

Trashpack likes this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leecher no pay. :blobcheeky:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Yerocia, Japorea, firefox1234 and 5 others like this.
  4. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Never pay for WN, unless a published one then it's depend on the story.

5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen a web novel that was good enough for me to pay for it

firefox1234, Trashpack and otaku31 like this.
  6. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My reasoning on not paying for that type of stuff is for 5-10 dollars (physical copy even) I could buy a whole book off of amazon. Why would I pay around that for a few chapters...

7. Boredgasm

Boredgasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leech or pirate

Trashpack likes this.
  8. Fokerei

Fokerei Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love pirating even if it's movie :p

firefox1234 and Trashpack like this.
  9. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the book, I pay $30-50 for hardback copies of investment, programming and business books since I can just claim it back on tax effectively meaning the books are free. If it's just for leisure reading I'll typically not pay for them unless I can't find any copies online or if I want the hardcopy for my collection.

10. Dgsmasta

Dgsmasta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I am a pirate.:D

Trashpack likes this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    If you look at the length of an online chapter when compared to kindle chapter. You realize the online chapter is really just a page.
    A regular kindle book cost on average $3 to $25 give or take. For a 200 to 800 page kindle book.
    A regular paperback cost on average $7 to $15 give or take.
    A regular hardcover cost on average $14 to $35 give or take.

While in comparison an online novel is way more. Let’s just say for argument sake a dollar a page. Their are novels that are over thousand chapters/ pages. I’ve seen some books for $40. I have also seen a couple over several hundreds of dollars. But asking for thousands of dollars for a digital copy.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend it. If anything I’d go to a pirated website if I really wanted to read it.

Yerocia, Kiskaiya and Trashpack like this.
  12. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, it's a question of value rather than quality, since you can't even measure the latter with nothing more than "my tastes" or "my opinion".
    Edit: Example, you're unlikely to spend 1 cent on what I'd read, while I wouldn't spare a look at what you read. Is one better than the other? Maybe we just have different preferences.

Second, I wouldn't write or animate for free, so I'm not going to consume for free. If I want to consume it, I pay for it the same way I pay for my clothing, roof and food. If I can't afford to fork out for it, I have something else to do before I worry about what my entertainment is going to be. The last thing I'm going to do is behave in a way that leads to people around me thinking they should get things for free. I want my kid(s) to grow up with the mentality of earning the things they want.

whitespade, asriu, kenar and 2 others like this.
  13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are dead wrong. There is a good and more or less objective way to evaluate literature. Things like plot holes, contradictions, the strength of the story, character development, etc. There are plenty of points that any story can be evaluated on. Most of the available to us web novels are objectively garbage with a ton of contradictions, zero logic and sense, and contain pretty much the same dumb plot. In addition, the translation quality is overwhelmingly shit. You get inconsistent translation with numerous grammatical errors and no editing. In some cases, the same word can be spelled three different ways in one sentence! Although it is not true for some translation web site, it is true for most.
    In addition to all of the above, just writing itself from the literary perspective is shit. The language used is poor and the sentence structure is amateurish. Some of the novels are pretty much impossible to read only because the writing is just a stream of incoherent nonsense.
    Then, you get not only the same plot repeated multiple times throughout the novel, but you also get the same thing repeated every chapter.
    And if all of that was not enough, translators dare to charge absurd prices for the access on per chapter basis, like they provide professional quality translations with a team of editors. And in many cases, they don't even buy the original chapters and don't own the content they translate. I have no problem if a fan asks for donations and help, but trying to sell someone else's work and make money on it while doing slightly more than putting the original text through google translate? Hell no.
    And most of these novels end up disappointing at the end. So not only you have to spend hundreds of dollars on shit content that is worth much less than that, but you also not going to get your money worth because it will disappoint you at the end. Screw that deal. If someone wants to make money - get a proper job or make something worth paying for and price it reasonably.

kenar and Trashpack like this.
  14. Wu Jizun

Reading List:
    Link
    The one time out of dozens of times (facebook, IG, reddit, here, disqus) boku don't mention to stick to evaluating literature on grammar and plot holes instead of something like an MC type or theme (such as harem), it's pointed out. The dozens of times boku explicitly mention it, people just skirt along nanodesu. Omoshiroi phenomenon; can't tell which one boku prefer more (don't miss the signature) nanodesu. Maybe boku need to surf with the quote ready on hand for whenever boku need to post something pertinent to it nanodesu. Boku don't think boku need to explicate boku agree with what anata said for the most part many times before at this point nanodesu.

Apologies, but boku don't know too much about "same baka plots," since the genres boku read avoid them (besides SoL) nanodesu. Boku daisuki me Non Non Biyori of CGDCT and zero to minimal character development; it's subarashii nanodesu.

Boku shiranai why anata are talking about translations when OP explicitly mentioned authors and not translators. Demo boku read what anata said nanodesu. Anata didn't type it for nothing nanodesu.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People are looking for novel based on theme and their preference, they judge the novel and stop reading because of the problems with plot and other nonsense.
    And the Authors do not put up translated books for sale, translators do. And most of my points hold for the originals as well.

16. Wu Jizun

Reading List:
    Link
    Souka nanodesu. Boku was unaware nanodesu.

Minna-san, warasurenai to check boku's signature for the "same non-baka plots." Boku doesn't translate the currently hot genres nanodesu. Don't forget: wuxia is not xianxia/xuanhuan. Don't lump them together kudasai, nanodesu.

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha for a second I thought you were double...triple posting haha

My take on this, if you are using a credit card then yes it is easy to pay.
    I find this laughable but if you were buying a popular book the year it came out, it wont cost $3 even as an ebook.
    We call novels bestseller here when they sell a million copies but these books have sold a lot more in China.
    And as already been said, value to you has nothing to do with quality. Does the novel bring you enjoyment?
    If you are not convinced then dont buy it.
    People think piracy is cool, the same way industry executives think paying peanuts is cool, that is killing the Japanese manga industry.
    It is not even piracy but people boycotting companies eg WW for simply trying to earn from their content.

Let's not kid ourselves, webnovels are guilty pleasures. If we wanted to learn about morality and other principles we would read the Bible or some more apt book.

Bright_Lucky_Star, asriu and Wu Jizun like this.
  18. shinobimike22

shinobimike22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    webnovels nah never. But I do spend a lot of money on physical books that I think Its worth though such as research, business and biography

19. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Kimi no comments Sei ore no eyelashes tingle nanodesu, Like ore consumed tsukemono Desu. :confused:

20. Sandu

Sandu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I buy a lot of books (both hard copy and ebooks), but I don't pay for locked-chapter webnovels. If they were being sold as ebooks I would, though.