Discussion Women in Xianxia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by oezsoyb, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am i the only one who noticed the women in this particular genre to be either totally weak garbage or totally overpowered characters?

No matter which Xianxia i read it was always one of these two, even though i would love to see would be a heroine also growing up just as the MC, providing more depth and emotional bond to potential relationships. It feels like xianxia only uses women as tools to "emotionally" strengthen the MC, which is quite disappointing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    compass96 and Mrgameandwatch77 like this.
  2. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes i wonder, why is delia even exists

JJ, raltzero and canaria23 like this.
  3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    ask @Linley

Linley and pristineallyn like this.
  4. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And even these totally OP women, once the MC reaches the point where he gets stronger than said person, the plot totally forgets her as if she barely exists.

5. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Audience/culture. Most people who read Xianxia are male Chinese people. And the Chinese aren't renowned for their feminism (no offense, just stating facts).

tekinwillie likes this.
  6. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    How about the fact, that women always want to drop their panties every time when someone shows a feat of power.

compass96 likes this.
  7. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not about feminism per se, but rather the lack of depth for women characters. I mean why should i care for the MC falling in love with someone who is barely mentioned and when in case she is mentioned, she either just stomps the enemies arrogantly around (ATG, PMA, MGA, Shen Ying) or she is useless as hell and gets protected (same novels as an example). Jesus is there no one inbetween these two options?

8. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    there's TDG. so far, thats all i know of. haha.
    most xianxia MC keeps wandering alone to seek strength.

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Character flaws, mate. If she's op, make her personality aggressive and thus flawed, if she's weak, make her protected and submissive. Spotlight has to be on MC either way.
    Also when I referred to feminism earlier, I was referring to how women are considered below men in China (again, no offense)

10. BusyBee

BusyBee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only "good" female characters only exists in Duoluo Dalu it seems. I feel like Xiao Wu and that other girl develope very well throughout the story.

11. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    way of the supreme mystery has a real female lead and also i shall seal the heavens the women are real and have their own stories as the story progresses and not just static that the male lead just comes and whisks them away

12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    What should china have feminism like the west, where it more about outrage and victimhood. I would rather not like to derail the thread about feminism.

13. tocos10

tocos10 Even more then the greatest Poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget Shen Yin Wang Zou (Divine Throne)

Eolan likes this.
  14. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TDG cant really be counted, just mentioning their Silver or Gold level once every 20 chapters means shit to me when they are barely mentioned otherwise and only in presence of the MC, and without the MC the girls there are pretty useless.

@Parth, thats the issue, dont try to generate some "romantic" atmosphere with the MC when its built on some half assed heroine to begin with. Either do it seriously or dont do it at all, otherwise i would not even care if she dies in the next chapter

Shen Yin has Cai'Er who stomps everyone with a cane, and she isnt even using a decent weapon yet. Same story, OP as fuck and nothing else.

I never read Duolo tho, are the heroines good there?

15. Tolena

Tolena 《Virtual Reality Addict》

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm.....
    Sadly the female in xianxia is for readers like us to build ships and set them to sail <3

16. Eolan

Eolan Totally serious poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Xiao wu is a good example, but not the best. At one point she is also protected and left behind by the protagonist.
    The best example I can think of a character as strong as MC and that develops with him would be Cai' er of SYWZ. At least at the moment she is strong/stronger than MC, develops along with him and I am very sure she will be his only partner throughout the series.

17. Tolena

Tolena 《Virtual Reality Addict》

Reading List:
    Link
    Cai'er is cute when she attaches herself to the MC I dont care what you say ty <3

18. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Eolan, Im at chapter 127 of Shen Yin right now and the only thing i see is Cai'Er being stronger than anyone else while the MC struggles to fight. Do not misunderstand me, seeing the MC struggling and growing up is one of the joys for the reader and u can relate with him emotionally, but when i see heroines (Cai'Er here) barely putting any effort and effortlessly winning, it just seems to dull and u get bored by her

19. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    At least Delia is still there. Alice just disappeared.

Also, Tang Jia San Shao's novels has good female characters - not only Ziao Wu of Doulu Dalu and Cai'er of Divine Throne. There's Ning RongRong and Zhu Zhuqing of Doulu Dalu, the little summoner Chen Ying’er and badass warrioress Wang Yuanyuan. They may not be as strong as the lead male and female MC but they are up to par or almost to their levels. There's also Shanggong Bing’er of Heavenly Jewel Change who is at the moment is stronger than the lead and would surely be the strongest female character in the novel in the future. Also, I have high expectations on Hai Shu and Mu Zi of Child of Light.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  20. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I personally find the romance in Shen Yin to be amongst the best in Xianxia. As for Duoluo, the heroines are decent. They may be op but all of their friends are op. Their personalities aren't bad (one of theirs was but that was rectified early on). As for why have romance...um it would get boring with just fighting, no? There has to be something that changes the pace a little. Sure it's badly done in some with females that are soon forgotten, but some Xianxia like Shen Yin and Duoluo pull it off.

Also authors don't have the time or the need to flesh out side characters like that. Like I said, the spotlight is on the MC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.