Discussion Women in Xianxia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by oezsoyb, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, in tdg there is lots of mention of ye ziyun, and there is some writing about her thoughts. Otherwise, yeah, Duoluo dalu has good women characters

2. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing i remember about Delia is that she laughs alot while talking to someone, seriously does anyone even know what her strength right now is? or her height? her favourite colour? duh... i have more info on the cat in the garbage below my appartment than her

3. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    You have an odd look of it yourself. The male characters are just as stupidly made as the females; either useless weaklings for the MC to rofltstomp, useless weaklings for the MC to hang around, or OP people who act as the MC's plot armour. There isn't a good rival for the MC. Chinese stories in general have this flaw.

If I had to give an author with a general good set of characters, then Tang Jia San Shao is probably the best. Sure he has OP females, but he has an OP male as well, and then all the other characters have their own strengths. Basing it all on 'Who is and Who isn't OP' is the stupidest logic ever. Focus on the characters themselves. Be angry that all the guys are dicks or all the women are created just to spread their legs for the MC.

Skyfire has the best character interaction of TJSS's stories. SYWZ is oddly romantic(?) to some but I don't see it. Douluo Dalu is an ok story, but Tang San is too robotic for my liking. Skyfire is the best since all the characters are generally normal sounding and no one is going around shouting about how butthurt they are.

People saying 'good women' should be specific...

Mrgameandwatch77 likes this.
  4. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    She's there to create unnecessary dialogue which Linley will disregard later anyways. That or just plain common sense.

5. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    It like 'look i'm human, i just don't cultivate and sculpt all day, i have other activities'

Jaded likes this.
  6. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    IET is not a very good writer of females...

7. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    how about i shall seal the heavens women and battle through the heavens

8. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    She also doesn't seem to have a mind of her own

9. oezsoyb

oezsoyb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @ Argos, unfortunately i have never read skyfire but i will take your advice. And yes, the MC being "useless weaklings for the MC to rofltstomp, useless weaklings for the MC to hang around, or OP people who act as the MC's plot armour" is extremely common, and frankly speaking i already lost hope about this matter until i read Shen Yin Wang Zuo, but for me who likes specific romance between the MC and one heroine, the lack of depth is a real shame and huge potential is wasted because the author writes more pages about the ego of the MC instead of the background and hardships of the heroine

10. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... how about the ladies of TDG. They are bound to be OP sooner or later. Moreover, they have good backgrounds and characterizations in the novel. They also have a lot of moments in the novel compared to other female characters in other novels.

11. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a big focus on anyone but the MC, so meh. Guys and girls are mostly equal though; everyone just needs to bow down to Meng Hao and that's all.

12. the_cheater17

the_cheater17 17 is not my age

Reading List:
    Link
    So, how about harem genre? Almost all female characters in that genre tend to like the male MC, no matter who is the male. Garbage or knight.
    And, I don't see anything wrong about xianxia's perspective to women.
    In that genre, xianxia, they not only have garbage/OP female characters, but also have garbage/OP male characters.
    It's just, the story is around male MC.
    Maybe, is there anything about xianxia with a female MC?

13. coveted

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno about that. You rarely see or read about the ladies of ISSTH and BTTH. Moreover, most women in ISSTH are shallow characters. They are like decorations around the lead character.

14. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance in Skyfire is odd. Don't get turned off from the beginning of Skyfire, it gets much better later. Don't think of it as another MGA story.

Also, there are some fun female stories. My Disciple Died Yet Again has a fun female MC. And then there are the other stories... Generally, female protag stories are better on the character interaction than male ones...

Mrgameandwatch77 likes this.
  15. Mrgameandwatch77

Mrgameandwatch77 Chrit, the God of Squirrels, Moe, and Cookies

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree! Skyfire Avenue is the greatest!

It doesn't have squirrels!

16. ArgosYesu

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say shallow. That's a bit too much. More like the author shows them and doesn't focus on them too deeply because he really doesn't need to. ISSTH is fine with the characters IMO. Not sexist, and not overly dramatic either.

17. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know what you are talking about one female has 3 souls in one and doing some shady shit whiles the other gains the will of a old patriarch if they are flat characters then fatty is a flat character as well

18. coveted

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in ISSTH, Chu Yuyan was so shallow as a character. She just hates Fang Mu, just because she felt like it. Nothing more, nothing less. Well, that's just my opinion.

19. Evilnemesis7

Evilnemesis7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite simply the writing suck. A lot of characters in Xianxia are one dimensional. Heck, even a lot of MCs could be considered this. If you're looking for good characterisation, you're reading the wrong genre.
    These women/love interests are about as developped as all the fodder villains you see through their respective novels.That's not because they don't care about women, they don't care to develop anyone else but the MC and maybe his sidekick stuck in a magical object. That or they can't because it is more than their ability.

20. Evilnemesis7

Evilnemesis7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I have one critic for ISSTH is that all women are not really developped. Chu Yuyan is the most at this point and we've seen a bit of her life but nothing much.

I know the MC is a solo guy that moves a lot, but I hope we get more in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.