Wuxia fans, what's your opinion about the new movie Mulan?

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by MidstNost, Sep 6, 2020.

1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The original Mulan doesn't have any special powers because she's supposed to be a real person and super powers don't actually exist. Put her in an environment where special powers do exist and I'd assume that she'd have something like that. She is certainly not supposed to be a normal person.

That's true to an extent, but it's very misleading. The thing is, the Xianbei people are steppes nomads and their government system is pretty limited as a result. This is workable if you're dealing with a few tribes, but Northern Wei ended up controlling half of China. To control such a huge empire, it's absolutely essential to have a bureaucratic system large enough to control it all. The only such system available is the Han style government so that's what they used. It's honestly more accurate to say that Northern Wei split apart because it just got too large for its own good.

2. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    True, although any attempt to try to sum up historical events in a few sentences will be misleading to some extent.
    It isn't as if the sinicization couldn't have worked without destabilizing the dynasty, since there are countless factors involved that could have played out differently.
    In either case Northern Wei is an interesting dynasty in general.

3. mirfn

mirfn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the animation is better :hmm:

4. littleoctopus

littleoctopus White Lotus Slayer ✦ Villain Sympathizer

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a disgrace to the original movie . The action was subpar but if I were not comparing it to the first movie then it would be good

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely. Everything I learned about Northern Wei I learned from reading a novel (Mulan Has No Elder Brother)! But it's way more fascinating in detail than what a cursory scan would suggest. I'd love to see the Mulan film (or anything else) tackle the setting in detail, but that's highly unlikely because Chinese companies aren't going to make a show based on what's effectively a non-Chinese culture.

6. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    It was weak. Doesn't compare to the animation at all.
    One thing that really annoyed me was that they cheaped out on CGI and didn't show shapeshifting at all. Every single time they went off screen with the transformations :|

7. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disney contradicted themselves, by wanting Mulan to be more realistic by removing the talking dragon and cricket pet along with not breaking into a song anymore. IMO these are the best parts of the animated film, which is the biggest reason why the target audience (90s kids that want to drown into their nostalgia) hated the new film. Going back to contradicting themselves, they made Mulan to a Martial arts genius with a background into witchcraft and shape shifting. Probably their poor attempt to breach into the Chinese market.

TL;DR: they removed the comic relief, iconic songs, weak to strong MC and turned the animated 90s film into a re-skinned Wuxia.

8. Perez10

Perez10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing i thought watching it was couldn't they have used a pretty actress, but overall the movie isn't good and even watching it once is already too much.

9. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    You may want to check on the lead actress' stunt double. She's stunning AF. Check out her instagram: @_liuyaxi

Perez10 likes this.
  10. Perez10

Perez10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She is very pretty are stuntwoman usually that pretty? It dorsnt suit her at all this kind of job.

11. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Original > Live Action Movie

12. okja111

okja111 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I found it really bad. Even a low budget wuxia show entertain me more

13. karoshiSama

karoshiSama Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i read some comments from youtube and it is a
    Bad Ending
    So i didn't even want to watch it.

14. Bettythebigbootyhoe

Bettythebigbootyhoe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like why they have to bring in some power or whatever the hell it was, Mulan was bad bitch because she achieved everything through her own merits and not some spirit power thing. Anywayyyy they also didn’t have Shang so what was the point like Disney you suck so bye.