Wuxiaworld Karma

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nargol, Nov 17, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a bit curious how it ended up this way at all. I'm not particularly opposed to the system in general, but I am curious what idiot came up with the idea of tying karma to comments.

By making comments one of the ways to earn karma, they guarantee spam. To counter said spam, they demand "good quality" comments. By demanding "good quality" comments, they leave an obvious window to purge negative comments and turn the comment section into nothing but praise, just like webnovel does.

Whatever shortsighted moron came up with this idea either has too much trust in humanity, or doesn't understand why WW isn't as hated as qidian is.

I wonder how long it takes until every chapter on WW is filled with comments praising their moron MC, and anyone with anything critical to say just doesn't bother anymore.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    KEKW :blobjoy:

3. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Karma is for completed novels. You can still read ongoing novels without a limit.

thymee and Nargol like this.
  4. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading the post again, it's actually pretty clear. I guess I was just expecting there to be more to it for... some reason.

Main thing was to complain about the idiot who decided to link comments and karma anyway, so mission accomplished.

5. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it will be for obviously spammy comments, not negative comments. WW has never purged negative comments and I very much doubt there will be anyone really checking for spammy ones either, aside from the translators who read their comments (not all of them do).

6. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    I also don't like this system. But unlike Q, they only put it for Completed novels. On-going novels aren't affected. So that's still much better than Q in many ways. There are always different options for leechers that don't want to pay.
    Though, I agree with one of the reasons on why they implemented this system for Completed novels. They explained that the Publishers asked them about How they are planning to make money from Completed novels, since something like subscription for them ended when the novel completed, so this is how, since something like Donations Aren't Stable enough for Business model.

7. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    And they said that WW would never become like Webnovel.

Not like I care, they're still business and money are their goal. It might not be at first, but it is now.

Wujigege and AcasualPawn__ like this.
  8. AcasualPawn__

AcasualPawn__ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just start. Looking forward to their next upgrade... Well, most of the novels they translate are below average and mediocre.. I don't think any veteran reader reads Chinese novel on their site...

GDLiZy likes this.
  9. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't mind me... just here to farm KARMA. :blobpeek:

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if you're very pure, very dumb, or a paid shill.

The power to silence or curtail criticism should never be in anyone's hands in the first place, and definitely not shielded by a system like this.

Its stuff like this that blurs the lines between ww and qidian. We dont need these chinese censorship ideas and systems leaking into other sites.

Wujigege and thymee like this.
  11. Guan Zhong

Reading List:
    Link
    lol no I'm certainly not one of WW's running dogs. But I have worked there and know how they operate and manage things and I know that RWX is not the type to censor or remove negative comments. Also, RWX is not the type to pay people to shill or ask anyone to.

EDIT: Furthermore, the power to silence on WW has always been there. They have been able to delete or edit comments since Day 1. And this is not a matter of free speech. A company can decide what it allows on its site. I'm just saying, WW, from which all major decisions come directly from RWX, is not a place where you will find the kind of silencing you are worrying about. I know because I worked there and know how RWX is.

12. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole point is that it doesn't matter what type of person RWX is.

He's a household name and has been around from the start, I somewhat trust him. But he's representing a company now, and we all know there's no way he has total oversight of everything going on.

Even if he doesn't do it, how do we know the translators won't? Even if he's trustworthy now, how do we know he will be in the future?

Who RWX is, how trustworthy he is, and what type of company he runs is all completely irrelevant. There is no reason for a system this easy to abuse to exist.

Wanting to drive up user engagement by rewarding comments, and limiting whatever damage might result to their image by discouraging spam makes sense at the basics, but implementing it like this without an EXTREMELY clear definition of what constitutes a "bad comment" makes him and the entire site look shady as hell.

If he has to have more comments, then removal will require extremely strict oversight, transparency and clearly defined rules. Right now, there's none of those, and the cost of implementing it will probably outweigh the benefits.

This is why I call whoever came up with it a shortsighted moron.

asriu and Wujigege like this.
  13. Guan Zhong

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators have been able to silence comments from Day 1. It's actually the translators themselves who moderate their own comments and always has been. If they were going to delete negative comments that would have been happening for years already. Let me tell you how WW is run: it mostly isn't. The day to day operations are the translators post their chapters and look at their comments, if they want. There's a guy who responds to emails. That's about it. I imagine there's people working on ebooks or whatever, but that's after I left so I can speak to that. But I know for sure that RWX is not hanging around policing anything. He's barely around to respond to his own translators.

In any case, time will show that I am right, so just wait.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  14. AcasualPawn__

AcasualPawn__ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the point of not removing negative criticism. When cult members on wuxiaworld bites everyone who gives negative criticism.
    They comes in group, surrounds the enemy and bites him/her to death.

asriu, Wujigege and Nargol like this.
  15. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    You're missing a key factor here: the amount of comments before were rather pitiful.

Qidian isn't deleting comments for no reason; comments and their content have a demonstrable impact on the media they are commenting on. And now that there is an actual incentive to comment, they will be more frequent. And so there will be more incentive to police them.

...and the less involved RWX is in things, the more worried I get. Because he is literally the only person on the site besides Deathblade that I know anything about, and the only person with a name with any kind of trust to it.

Besides, if it is the way you say it is, then who is it that's determining whether a comment is bad or good quality? Moderation doesn't just happen by itself. There have to be people doing it, and if there aren't now, then once the spam starts there will be.

Your trust in the company is admirable, and you don't seem stupid or dishonest. I can only assume you're very, very pure.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't mind me....... Imma here just for the drama:whistle:

17. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    How starved are you to consider this drama lol

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgive me for intruding or not, but I seem to sense a vague feeling of distrust towards companies from you? From what I'v seen, you trust only two translators and as for the rest, you feel alarmed and weary of their actions? Fear the potential for abuse in the website or towards the website's new policies linked with a company? Both? Don't mind me too much, just oddly curious for your truth in the matter. You see~ I like reading perspectives from other people. My craving for all truths, more so when in doubt or cursed with perverted curiosity! Speak to me to your secrets, for I seek to savor it all in contradiction.

19. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    To counter your question, Dr Phil: you seem to believe distrust in companies is abnormal or strange somehow. That's a very peculiar standpoint in todays society. Why do you have so much trust in them?

20. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you see Doc, I believe companies have the privilege to lie. I also believe they have the privilege to steal. I mean, it's our human privilege to commit misdeeds towards another fellow human with the least of our care or whatnot, yeah? Indeed, I believe in the company's interest for profit, so I never doubt any marketing strategy which would lose interest would be valuable for a company. A company is good when it profits a lot in the long run, but a company is bad when it earns only in the short run. A company that doesn't settle for the profit is not a proper company at all. Rather than fear them in the possibility they scam or abuse you, believe in their search for more profit. Like merchants in the past, you don't need to trust in the person, but instead, believe in their sense for money making. Trust in their sins, not their sinners. It's abnormal to distrust companies for such reasons, when humans are the same, except they aren't grouped with a brand name like companies. Company is a company~ Business or friend, it's all the same, absolutely professional! Feelings only matter when profit is damned! It's personal when interest collide. It's that simple, Doc.

asriu and Wujigege like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.