Recommendations Xianxia & Xuanhuan Novel with Female Lead MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by spitfireYG Ace, Jul 31, 2017.

1. spitfireYG Ace

spitfireYG Ace Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you guys recommend me some Xianxia & Xuanhuan Novel with Female Lead MC?
    So far I've only read male lead Xian/Xuan novels and they're all pretty much similar only few are exceptionally outstanding

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    There aren't that many translated, tbh.

And... I wouldn't expect too much out of 99% of them, considering how medieval chinese thinking is around women.

4. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Watches thread

It was somewhat interesting, but the update speed is glacially slow.

AngelOfAbyss and Carrotflower123 like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Qt likes this.
  6. cinabre

cinabre ♭♬ ♪ ♮♫ # ♩♭ ♪ ♮♫ #♩♭ ♬ ♪

Reading List:
    Link
    why do you feel the need to justify yourself ? There's nothing wrong with a female MC.
    -_-

AngelOfAbyss and Raobihr like this.
  7. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    why do you feel the need to defend him justifying himself, theres nothing too outstanding about a female mc

Ps im just trolling

9. spitfireYG Ace

spitfireYG Ace Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm true true gonna delete that RN

cinabre likes this.
  10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've only partially read a few translated web novels with a female lead. My main issue with those that I've read is that they're largely written like romance novels for teenage girls. As I'm not a teenager, a lady, nor am I interested in romance novels, the vast majority of those *xia web novels fall flat for me. Also, in general, the chapters seem to be much shorter than your average web novel.

What I'd like to find is a strong female lead without the cheesy, awkward romance and without the stereotypical Chinese tropes surrounding the virtuous woman that most novels focus on.

MissZer0q likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now, I don't read a whole lot of Romance novels and I don't read any xianxia novels, but I don't know how true your statement is. I'm reading Rebirth of the Malicious Empress almost at random right now, and it doesn't read like a typical Romance novel at all. The main character's main motivations are murder and revenge and more murder! For the most part she doesn't even pretend to be virtuous, and it's great! It's only a matter of looking to find something like this, but in xianxia/xuanhuan flavors. I certainly wouldn't dismiss a category as broad as "female lead" so easily.

12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said, I've only read a few, and I gave up less than 100 chapters into each of the 3 that I read. I know 3 isn't exactly a monumental sample size, but I'm kind of gun-shy about reading another one without a stellar recommendation because of my past experience.

13. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that there aren't any but most are romance novels for teenage girls, I started reading demonic King chases his wife as the fmc was an assassin in previous life and there was cultivation but it has almost no relevance compared to the love interest who is the most annoying character after jar jar binx.
    Note that jar jar doesn't make an appearance in this novel

14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't care about xiaxian then:

The Strategy to Become Good at Magic

15. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the Japanese web novels I've encountered have terrible prose, and I usually give up on them before reaching 100 chapters. But that doesn't stop me from trying out new ones or discouraging other people from reading such a broad swath of books.

I wouldn't be too surprised if xianxia Romance novels are aimed towards a younger audience, but I don't think that they're representative of Chinese Romance novels as a whole. The most popular Chinese Romance novelist right now is Tong Hua, and I know for a fact that her books target an adult audience.

I'm about a fifth of the way through the Malicious Empress book, and it has less romance than most non-Romance novels. If you're willing to give them a shot, I think you'll find that a lot of Chinese Romance novels are going to be like this: they're going to offer a lot of things like political intrigue, war and military strategy, murder, and so on. They're really just regular historical novels with an emphasis on romance. I don't know about the xianxia versions because I don't read those.

17. Darkwood

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the heads up, I just hate it when reading a novel with an fmc that gets ruined because the author screwed over the romance in my opinion (chi wang fei) or the love interest takes over the whole novel and has a cr*p personality to boot (dkcw).

On another note, do you have anymore recommendations like that (not To Be A Virtuous Wife as she has no real sway on society and is too much of a slice of life for me)?

18. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read a lot of Romance novels, so I can just suggest the ones Tong Hua wrote. Bu Bu Jing Xin is her most famous book but it's only partially translated. Ballad of the Desert is pretty good though, and its sequel, Song in the Clouds is really good. Tong Hua is currently the most popular Romance writer in China, so she's going to be a good place to start. Bear in mind though that these are relatively authentic historical books so women aren't going to be running the government or anything like that. The female characters still do play a big role in the stories though.

19. Darkwood

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind them not running the government as there is literally only 1 true example in Chinese history under Wu Zetian. These should be good to start, thanks.

20. Pavilion

Pavilion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link