Discussion Yandere love interest.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anony.artsv, Feb 18, 2021.

1. anony.artsv

anony.artsv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll say it. Romance between the mc and love interest who's yandere, ain't cute nor romantic, it's quite creepy.
    Moreover, I dislike yanderes in shojo novels even more.

2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    That's your opinion. As for shojo yanderes, they're just flat out romanticized rapists, or something close to that.

Khloud2003 and MisterBubbles like this.
  3. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Well a Novel with a real Yandere isnt a Romance Novel. A Yandere takes express his/her Love in all ways, as in not just good ways with Presents, and even kills People that make his/her Target unhappy, kills/removes things that make the target react different that the Yandere has in Mind or does it to limit the Target only to the Yandere, and not other People.
    In many Novel where Romance is and Yandere tag, is the said Yandere not really a Yandere, but someone with Obsessive Love, Possessive love, jealous or distrustful.
    A Real Yandere is Obsessive, Possessive, Jealous and Distrustful all at once. You cant say "No" or "Stop" to a Yandere.

northerner likes this.
  4. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    That's misconstruing what a Yandere is. Yanderes aren't necessarily possessive, jealous, and distrustful. Those aren't, in essence, part of what makes a yandere, a yandere. Though they may be common attributes to yandere characters, they aren't attributes to the yandere personality itself. What you have in mind is the archetypical possessive and selfish yandere, a type of yandere that's ironically self-centered.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  5. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohoho, i actually have a thing or two for certain types of fictional yanderes~ Sure it's unhealthy, toxic, dysfunctional, and if i saw something like that irl, i would call 911 right away. But it's fiction, and to each their own, i suppose :aww:.
    I completely agree with this. While obsession is the central part of the theme, there are actually several different archetypes going on for the yandere trope, like something in this.

6. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    What if it's two yanderes who fall in love with each other? :blobpeek:

7. qpzmal

qpzmal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there's actually a webtoon like that. stalkerxstalker

Hinattaaa, anony.artsv and c.decora like this.
  8. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    Yandere
    I think it's a beautiful personality:blob_grin:

9. anony.artsv

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, yes. It's a nice comedy :)

10. Violet Blaze

Violet Blaze Step Red Sibling | Holy Blaze

Reading List:
    Link
    yandere is sweet :love:

11. anony.artsv

Reading List:
    Link
    Of cource the yanderes in shojo can't be as sick as the discription of the yanderes it self. However the thing is I just hate the ML/MF being so selfish and devouted to the ones they love… sometimes it just crosses the line.

wooingu likes this.
  12. anony.artsv

Reading List:
    Link
    ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

13. anony.artsv

Reading List:
    Link
    Sweet but a psycho ( ͡ಥ ͜ʖ ͡ಥ)

14. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t think for a typical romance they are a good stereotype, mostly because they really don’t fit into what your typical fluffy romance should be. They are too unstable for them to carry on a normal romance, and it is far from just being a misunderstood individual that has never been given a chance to grow. This is a whole other ball-game my friend. It is kind of like throwing someone into water and expecting them to turn into a mermaid. It just doesn’t work like that, and they are individuals who need more help than the object of their obsession developing a type of Stockholm syndrome.

Now I think yanderes are perfectly fine in fucked up psychological thrillers, because the focus is on how they are fucked up and that heavily ties into the story. The yandere mascot of the Internet, Gasai Yuno is a wonderful example on this point. The story revolves around the aspects that matter about them and why it is disturbing, fully showing what is messed up with them and not excusing it. The “romance” is often an unhealthy relationship, like it should be, and the objects of obsession often are also messed up, using the yandere, or are trying to get out the relationship secretly.

It’s not healthy for anyone involved and it is seriously fucked up. For a shoujo romance, this type of romance is really just inappropriate and is looked at through rose colored lenses. They appeal to everything that is extremely wrong for both parties: the FL appealing and eventually accepting the ML faults and often brushing them off and even thinking “I can fix him” and the ML obtains his object of obsession and basically spirals or “gets better lol” or lies to the Fl for the rest of the story and the readers are supposed to take it as “comedy”. If wasn’t so serious and common a troupe in shoujo I would thought it as a matter of satire that is supposed to show the reader what not to do when you are in a situation of “love at first sight” with a crazy person.

plus people only excuse it because most yanderes are good-looking. You wouldn’t see that approval if they were ugly. Only the ugly characters get called out on the reality of the situation in shoujo lol.

15. Violet Blaze

Reading List:
    Link
    they're sweet and protect their loved one

16. anony.artsv

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly my point! I do indeed enjoy yanderes in horrors, etc. but to show it as an example of a lovely and healthy relationship is no good.

17. anony.artsv

Reading List:
    Link
    they're sweet and will kill for their loved ones ( ͡ಥ ͜ʖ ͡ಥ)

Violet Blaze and ANonMouse like this.
  18. linmeili

linmeili Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The yandere love interests are just there for the excitement, aren't they? I don't think they would work as the main love interest unless the work is niche.

19. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yandere as fiction is fun because you get excitement from danger and you get happiness from being the object of such heavy desire. IRL... that's a red flag you can see from a few cities away lol. As far as fiction goes, I don't think it's far off from the "bad boy" trope you see in a lot of shojo mangas where you have a love triangle between the girl and the "good guy" and the "bad boy". It makes sense if you think about it since the appeal of bad boys is excitement (he's sooooo bad) and feeling flattered because he don't move for the world but he moves for you. As for fear helping romantic feelings along there was that experiment where people rated each other more attractive when in very high places (because of the excitement from being scared and people's minds conflating the two).

anony.artsv likes this.
  20. Violet Blaze

Reading List:
    Link
    :cry::cry::cry: nooo, they're not like that, they just want their loved ones attention