You find a new novel on zombie apocalypse, what do you want to find inside?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ner0, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm been looking for zombie survival apocalypse novel for a while now, most disappoint me so I've been questioning myself, what would I like to find in such novels?

1- One of the most important requirement for it to be enjoyable: the humans need to fear the zombies.
    I don't want to read a novel in which the zombies are seen by the MC as item chest or XP farm.

2- The story should not be focused solely on the MC, I want to see multiple points of view from characters that have their own personalities. I don't want to see chapters filled with descriptions and the MC's thoughts, I want to see interactions, and other characters accompanying the MC.

3- The MC also has to make choices during the story, sometimes he makes the bad ones (ex: the character N°5 saw him make that decision and felt disappointed, the next day he left the base, betraying the MC)
    It is okay to make bad choices, he can always learn from his mistakes!

4- The zombies (or system behind them) must be always evolving, I want the zombies to be a constant threat to humanity. The fear of humanity extinction must always be linked to their action/choice. I don't want the characters to start saying "Humans are more dangerous than zombies" Fuck that logic, zombies will come at night to eat your rotten brain!

5- The MC must be a strong lead that only moves forward for the purpose of survival. He gathers people up, choose them based on their abilities and set up an elite clan, those that are useful are given privileges, those that are worthless are slaves, with no right to decide of their life and death.
    This is the apocalypse, where they can die at any moment, there is no Messiah that'll save everyone, every human for himself, those that prove themselves are rewarded...

6- And finally, the MC's enemies must not be blind or retarded. They can be smart and able to trick the MC. He must not under any pretext win every battle.

And you, what would you like to find in a zombie apocalypse novel?

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    you described apocalypse cockroach
    go read and move on

3. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:
    1. A mc that ain't some sort of lucky mofo that doesn't become a zombie from a bite.
    2. No crappy harems... actually let all the girls just die since the mc would be a wussy because of them sooner or later.
    3. Slaughter, I mean .... slaughter between humans on top of the one done by zombies.
    4. No bullshit cheat in an apocalypse system and no bullshit rpg system. Keep it the good old classic zombie mode coz that's the best to exist.
    5. Mutation zombies r okay but don't give me bullshit ones that can control a horde of zombies.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It should be like God and Devil World, with less repetitiveness and an author with better memory etc

PanBaron10000 and Viola like this.
  5. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest God and devil world has all the things I want, except its repetitiveness and the female are recyclable rather than a few but rememberable characters he's headstrong and have a ruthless personality befitting of a leader rather than seeing a protagonist being kind and forgiving to those that attacked and betrayed him.

Astaroth likes this.
  6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Zombie waifus.

7. vaggelispihas

vaggelispihas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe one of the yaoi apocalypse novels?

Vor and Shizun like this.
  8. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first, I thought your description was bland, taking away all the interesting perks.
    Then I started thinking of a novel that incorporates everything you wanted. The result is: I actually imagined a great story.
    Where the humans are powerless without a God or system that gives them power. They must find weapons by themselves and get food to survive. Forget making a harem or making friends, they have no time for it, they must save their energy to avoid the zombies.
    It would be a novel about true survival, not a slaughtering novel since the characters have no supernatural abilities.

SpecTreX and Raizhee like this.
  9. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    you are forgetting ''6. No mc fucking(literaly) zombie''

Raizhee likes this.
  10. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I like the arc on zombie apocalypse in Side Character Transmigrations: The Final Boss is No Joke. The zombie is actually considered an evolution of human kind. after the zombie evolved to a certain extend, they began to regain their mind and even memories. the zombie that has evolved, with superior strength, resilience body, long living, become NeoHuman. In the end those that stayed human is not someone who survived apocalypse, but those that failed to evolve.

Sabruness likes this.
  11. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right, God and Devil World is the novel closest to the ideal zombie apocalypse novel.
    Is it not perfect, you can find many drawbacks, but it is very pleasant to read compared to the other novels on the same theme.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much that's what I wanna see.. not some sort of bs zombie novel where mc has the time to fk around as he wants. I want one where he's close to powerless and needs to constantly work to get what he needs for basic survival. One where he's literally living on the edge of life and death as it should be in such a type of novel imo.

I mean, if peeps like the op mc that can fk around as he wants in a zombie novel then that's fine by me but I won't even bother reading it since I find it boring for such a setting.

O yeah, I forgot that...

Ner0 likes this.
  13. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    i'd be happy if it just followed its own pre-established rules and didn't throw in random god class enemies to bitchslap the MC into near oblivion every time it wanted to show how "weak" s/he(it) still is.

Sabruness likes this.
  14. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    While the MC is the alpha. The novel The Reborn Otaku’s Code of Practice for the Apocalypse was cool, but I dropped when I got that the Mc will be ever a girl, being ever protected. In truth, many other novels would be cool when yaoi. Wuxia for example. Well, has
    The Legendary Master’s Wife but is the same, feminine MC.

15. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. Ppl made millions from the idea. Its called the walking dead bud.

grish99 likes this.
  16. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    So you want walking dead?
    There are pure survival zombie novels out there you know (not gonna tell where firstly because it wasn't in English second it was long ago)

17. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that a Zombie Apocalypse without complete supernatural elements kind of dull and borning...

As zombies without something to stop their decaying bodies and somehow can't spread quicker then they bite will probably be over in like a month at most with Modern Weaponry.

18. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    actual zombie not some weird alien zombie,
    no lone wolf mc but in a company of 4-6 people,
    ammunition and food is a problem

19. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah the idea is already existing, but what we are talking is adapting this idea to the chinese writing style.
    In Walking dead there is no real MC, the sheriff is no different from any other character, he is as weak as them.
    What I want is a story where the MC is better than others, but not at the point of being op and destroying every zombie he encounters.
    Walking dead is a classical western zombie apocalypse novel (serie), what I seek in a balance between west and east

20. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try "The End of the world's poisonous mom and monster baby"
    It fits most of your criteria:
    - Humans fear the zombies
    - It's not all about the MC (but a good part of it is, like every other novel), the other characters have a character and are not there just to fill in the space
    - Zombies are constantly evolving (though it isn't directly shown), as are several humans as well (more accurately, everyone lead character except the ML)
    - I hope you don't mind that the MC is a zombie, too, and her baby is a half zombie (that already knows how to talk immediately after birth and no f*cks are given about it)

Shizun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.