You know what would be cool...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by craBebe, Oct 19, 2016.

?

How would you react if a game company forced this on you as a player?

1. This would be incredible. Take me!!

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Insta-unsub, sue the company, rage rage rage.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If some of the larger video games took the "survival game" approach to some events they have in game.

What I'm talking about is how you know in novels like Everyone Else is a Returnee, Master Hunter K, Reincarnator, and much of the VRMMO genre; the entire population of Earth(or VR player base) is forcibly removed from earth and stuck into a "once you die, you're dead" tournament(God must be really bored).

What if some of the larger games with huge player pools(Overwatch, CoD, Guild Wars, LoL) forced their player base into a randomly match-made single elimination tournament. Where it basically overrides any choice on the part of the user and just throws them into games and they're forced to struggle for survival. Like, if you're online you're thrown into matchmaking instantly. Winner gets some kind of reward.

You can obviously forcefully shut the game off to remove yourself so you're not completely stuck, but if you opt out or lose in game you're forced into a spectator mode.

I just started the novel Master Hunter K and I feel like the premise in that novel would translate really well into any online game where PvP or group PvE is a part of the game. I just really like the idea of a game company forcefully co-opting their players and throwing them into matches to see how they do and taking away their option to choose. Once they die/lose they're out, but I think it would make for a really interesting experience.

2. kudarajin

kudarajin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, as long as they tell it beforehand, I wouldn't mind.
    But if they forced it on my character that has custom skins and all that without telling it beforehand? I'm going to sue the game company so bad.

Lokumi likes this.
  3. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    ...so basically dark souls

Deleted member 37987 likes this.
  4. Aokiba

Aokiba ( ・ิω・ิ)ゞ

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds cool
    -last words from first death

asriu and craBebe like this.
  5. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Completely forced. But it's not like your character is destroyed after playing, it's more like a single-elimination tournament you're forced into as opposed to having a choice.

Think of like Blizzard taking the entire online community of Overwatch at one of their peak times, and forcing them all into a single-elimination tournament at the same time through random matchmaking. Winners move on, losers are out, until you finally get a winner.

The losers could go back to the normal ranked/pug matchmaking games they normally play, or join a spectator mode to watch the people who are still in tournament.

This isn't a "force everyone's character to become hardcore" type of thing, it's just a forced tournament.

6. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    I dream of something like this.
    I just want that the "full dive" VR experience will be in my lifetime....
    It would be much more exiting than my actual life anyway, so if I die (or not), so be it.

EDIT: didn't fully read what you said... But well it would be illegal so it wouldn't happen but it would be very fun I think? Like a big event or something

7. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's illegal, it would be a minor inconvenience for the player base at most. There's no law against forcing players into a game. I think it would be worth it just for the media coverage alone, and to potentially bring in new players who might be looking for an experience like that.

I think it would be controversial, which can be a good thing for creating hype.

8. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I guess you're right, bad media coverage doesn't exist as long as everyone speak of you, like the game Hatred some time ago.
    And I was too much on the idea of VR, imagine in a VR full dive game where you would be forcefully teleported a stuck here against you will, even if you log out then log in you would have to watch it, infrigement on the freedom of movement I think.

But on normal game sure, in fact what you are describing is a server event right?
    like a wave of monsters invading cities all over the game world and player would have to fight against them or something like that

9. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much, except it wouldn't be in an MMO. Rather it would be in a PvP game. I just like the idea of forcing players into situations they can't control.

Like at a certain server time, every person is ejected from their games, and forced into a new matchmaking out of nowhere. You could give it some cryptic prompt like "You've been forcefully recruited into the tournament of champions, fight until only one of you is left. The winner gets a million dollars" or something like that.

I can imagine there would be extreme amounts of rage over it, but it would also be a unique experience and I think a lot of people would get really excited over it.

Crimshine likes this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tournament huh~ I will out on second or third round if I passed first round cuz heck it long way to finish~ millions of players you know for popular one perhaps hundreds of thousands at same time? group/team battle can consume lot of time. There also games that use round to determine the winner if they use 1 round to deiced oh yeah prepared to get more rage than excitement (FPS game have lot of it) it kinda remind me with a game I played on past it got bug, winner on first round automatically win cuz other team forcefully out from game :LOL: not even a day it got emergency maintenance ~ I don't have time for that:X3:
    these day on PvP mode I just like watch other play not so interested join in~
    fun to watch but not so eager to participate on such event~ if that event can't finish between 72 hours it will put burden on all participant

craBebe likes this.
  11. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    True. But you could also schedule in some break time. Like split it up into 4 hour chunks or something, make it happen on a weekend. That or just give people the option to drop out, let the real hardcore players go at it for 3 days straight.