Your Most Hated Plot Device

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Too Honest, May 14, 2017.

1. KTL

KTL Down horrendous

Reading List:
    Link
    World transmigration/transportation. Not trying to be hippy or anything but there are so many of it and it isn't even well-done that it's infuriating.

2. Ophis

Ophis 『God Slayer』 『Dragon God』 『Harem Seeker』

Reading List:
    Link
    The plot-device I hate the most is when the author uses the death of loved ones as a reason to have character development. It's like the author has no idea how to properly develop characters, therefore they come up with drastic measures.

Time travel is another thing that I detest as well. The only one I can remember liking is the one in Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?

The separation of the MC with the love interests because they can't keep up with the MC is annoying as well.

3. delf20k

delf20k Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Female Mc turned into public toilet/doll/cattle ect by school/government then down hill to bad end of permanent enslavement and or death maybe even refusing rescue due to feel broken and soiled.
    This is vile.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally don't mind time travel. Often times I even like it. The only thing that ticks me off about time travel is that events that should happen in the future happen faster and very similar to in the past...That is kind of weird to me. It feels like rushing the plot.

As for what I hate...I don't like when MC goes "I'll marry everyone!". I don't mind harem too much, I don't mind even if MC eventually marries multiple people. But something about him just going "I'll marry everyone" in 1 day kind of feels wrong to me...I stopped reading 2 novels which I liked because MC decided to marry everyone in 1 day.

Its a cheap plot device so the author doesn't actually have to bother with character development.

5. Ophis

Ophis 『God Slayer』 『Dragon God』 『Harem Seeker』

Reading List:
    Link
    God, this disgusts me to no end as well. Misunderstandings and shit that happen when characters don't bother to properly communicate with each other. That's what I call "creating drama for the sake of drama".

6. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    higher realms are fine if stated in the beginning like "this world has a lower, middle, and upper [blank]", its when they [author] sets a power ranking of 1-9 and once the MC hits lvl 7 you get "oh by the way there's another realm and its power rankings go from 9-15"

Too Honest likes this.
  7. End3r

End3r Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THIS:
    How many times do rich, entitled idiots need to get fucked up by newly 'roided up cultivators before the clans/community/society/culture adapts to this reoccuring phenomenon. If we didn't figure this shit out then we wouldnt exist as a species anymore (Ie laws, courts, police and the rest of the civ game tech tree). Haven't these authors not watched any superhero/mutant movie or TV show where this is often the main theme?

8. Thecomicgeek

Thecomicgeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem building annoys the hell out of me its like the authors don't know of any women with enough self-respect to be just another hole in a golf course it feels icky and wrong especially the prevalence of these books which seems to promote the "idea" that its fine for men to woo and sleep with other.. scratch that.. EVERY attractive woman but the women would only have eyes for the oh so wonderful MC... Wish fulfillment from perverted egotistical fap happy shut-ins who only ever lay with "bought goods"

Raobihr likes this.
  9. Salokin

Salokin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hate when the author builds up this vicious evil bastard, and he really is an evil prick. The MC seemingly purposely antagonizes this evil prick, and then surprise! The evil prick does something very evil and the MC is "I never thought they would be this vicious!" Its not like you couldn't see this coming a mile away, the Main Character just buried three fools getting to this part of the story doing the exact same thing!

While I'm here...

When the MC has this perfect girl that he is absolutely head over and they are perfect together. Other girls come along only to flirt and be rejected but then boom! 500 chapters in we see now a harem show up...I don't mind reading about polygamous harems (great stuff) but after so long I (the reader) was expecting the MC to be as faithful to the heroine as she was for him. After the 500 chapter it feels like cheating. (AGM, PMG,...others). Foreshadow that stuff earlier!

10. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sex to cure a condition. I do not mind sex at all in a novel but sex randomly to cure the MC or side heroine is forced by the author's wish fulfillment. Dunno why characters cannot have sex normal through a relationship instead of forced plot development. Like she took a aphrodisiac and needs sex so she does not have a heart attack is one case.

ludagad and dragonmage124 like this.
  11. Jaehaerys

Jaehaerys Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I hate the most is when authors use bullshit as negotiation.

Price is 400.

MC offers 200.

Owner says 300

MC immediately agrees.

Like this isn't how things work... especially when afterwards the MC acts like he was super smart/super good at negotiation for getting this amazing deal... that honestly is so fake and annoying. Like step up the game and make them actually negotiate rather than the same lowball offer then meet in the middle scenario over and over.

Too Honest likes this.
  12. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    People die all the time. What's so drastic about that? Besides, revenge is always a good motivator.

13. LoneDK

LoneDK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a problem with the concept of higher realms per se. What I dislike is that authors use it to essentially reset the story. Like when the MC actually progress in the current realm, authors seem to run out of idea for the story and essentially make the current level of the MC the lowest in that higher realm and basically rehash the story.

14. WitheringHope

WitheringHope Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read, To Be A Virtuous Wife
    It's a slice-of-life in an ancient Chinese setting, Not a fantasy.

15. dragonmage124

dragonmage124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well i think having loved ones die should have much more emotional responses then "must get revenge"... so many emotional responses can be written with the plot device of "loved ones death" but most authors skip all of them and go right to "power up for revenge" since they only have a loved one die from murder and no accidents/old age. the authors could even write several chapters to a whole arc and use the loved ones death as a way to have the MC reflect on their actions as they remember all the time spent with that loved one. (which would in turn give even more backstory to the MC and the one who died thus making the MC more real) by doing that they could start to completely change they MC persona based off that reflection, understanding, and new outlook ...all the while they grow strong enough to get the revenge in a way that their new 'heart' is fine with (be it by killing the one responsible, ruining them via wealth loss/politics/framing, seducing their kid/grand-kid if they have one ..and it could just be to use them/train them or as a plaything..if the kid is not to their sexual preference they could befriend them and 'help them' harm someone of higher status/train them if they dumb enough to betray their parent/grandparent or even control them to kill them for the MC)

So I agree with the Ophis "death of loved ones" is just used as a drastic measure to power up the MC in about 90% of the novels with that tag.

16. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    like BLEACH and the Bankai......start of series not many ppl have it but by the Arancar Arc everyone seemed to have one

17. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, you want the author to write out the five stages of grief? Honestly, if authors start doing that, some people would probably be accusing them of trying to increase the word count. What do you think of authors who spend a few chapters describing the cultivation process and authors who skip past all of that? It's the same logic here.

18. WitheringHope

WitheringHope Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do hate a lot of devices in novels. such as;
    The indestructible plot armors, senseless villains made for the sake of raising the MC's platform, senseless allies made for the same reason as before, unreasonable desire for revenge, murder and such things, common egotistical behavior and hypocrisy that comes with achievements and the typical arrogance.

19. dragonmage124

dragonmage124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not really the 5 stage of grief ..but at least some of it.
    they go from sad 1 line to murderous the next..it just does not flow.. besides even if some complain about them trying to increase of word count if they give a good enough back story/grief arc that 60%+ readers like then they should be like who cares about your word count complaint ...besides they will complain about word count (just like i would)with all the repetitive mocking to crowd reactions and similar events anyway.

20. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Time travel mainly because it nearly always end up with major plot holes and inconsistencies.