Your views on Ichijou Masaki

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Eternal Emperor, May 24, 2018.

1. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished vol 19 of Mahouka koukou no Rettousei. Until now I’ve always found the eldest son of the Ichijou clan, Ichijou Masaki to be a very annoying character. Because I well really ship Tatsuya and Miyuki and didn’t like him trying to force his way in. And I found his love at first sight to just be lust towards Miyuki’s beauty. But my views seem to have changed a bit after reading the last part of vol 19(Ichijou Masaki School Change Diary) where he feels that if it can bring a smile on Miyuki’s face he’d be willing to be a clown. He also decides to do whatever it takes to go to the same university as her even knowing that he’ll have to look at her standing by Tatsuya’s side as his fiancée. All this kinda made me feel a bit sad for him, just a bit okay! So I wanted to know others views.

2. Apple

Apple Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NO. Thats my view on this topic.

3. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Lonelise

Lonelise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Delusional.
    I hate that guy the most probably c'mon man how stubborn can you be when someone alr have a partner.

The_manga_freak likes this.
  5. Lhie

Lhie 『Procrastinator』「Argetlam」『Bibliophile』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm masaki is a thorn in my eye whenever i see his name pop up. But well, we can't deny that he really likes miyuki and that he's doing good tho so i forgive him. XD

Arbalest and Eternal Emperor like this.
  6. raikun1209

raikun1209 Wandering Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel sorry for him really. Of all the women that he could choose, he ended up choosing to fall in love with Miyuki who only has her eyes for Tatsuya.

Nyamsus, Arbalest and Eternal Emperor like this.
  7. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    He really feels like me who once fall for my best friend when she told me that she likes my other friend and i could only be like 'I know that it was already a forsaken love but i can't help since i love her for a long time'.

I never read the novel up to that point but i can't help but support him since he was like me who already know that they'll soon hook up while i just stare them from afar.

8. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think every romance needs annoying rivals. I've never liked Masaki, he is a plot device to put pressure on Tatsuya, to make Tatsuya change his views on Miyuki. Seriously, everyone knows Miyuki will only ever look at Tatsuya, right? I mean the writer wrote it such that she's literally made for him.

I'd rather see the change in Tatsuya be caused by interactions between Tatsuya and Miyuki, not off of a useless rival that's going to be thrown in the garbage bin at the end anyway. That's bad writing. You could skip the sections detailing about all love rivals' thoughts entirely and the novel wouldn't change at all. What a waste of space.

My views on the female love rivals contending with Miyuki is completely the same. You know Tatsuya can never betray Miyuki in any way. As such, they have no chance whatsoever. Throwing bunch of cute girls at the Male Lead. Classical Japanese bullshit.

9. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    He’s kinda pathetic really chasing after someone he knows wouldn’t give him a second look. But that’s what love does to ya I guess~

10. Eternal Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    As of now I haven’t seen any change in the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki caused by Masaki so I find your critic to be a bit excessive

11. Hamster

Hamster Bloodthirsty Hamstie

Reading List:
    Link
    To sum it up , ambitious ,pussy , horny teen, gay, emotional dickwad, dillusional asf with superiority complex, moral stubborness and dont face reality

12. Arbalest

Arbalest Arcane Knight Anti Mage Honeytrap Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike that dude so badly because whenever I heard that name and suddenly pop up I remembered my deep hatred for the stupid traitor kururugi suzaku! Their Character face and stubbornness is also identical so you cannot blame me for hating that dude! Too bad his delusional love won't be granted.

Eternal Emperor likes this.
  13. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont understand "falling in love at first sight" and because of this anyone who does this in real life or in fictional stories seems childish to me. As far as the character goes i could really care less.

14. Eternal Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel the same but his monologue seems to show that even so his feelings have depth. This is what made me feel a bit sympathetic for him as he’s pursuing a love he’ll never be able to obtain.

15. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    well, he didn't really do anything annoying or underhanded methods to get Miyuki's attention
    If anything applaud him for not being a douche-bag like other love rivals of other series,
    like you know, to make the mc look better than the rival, authors try to make rival do something evil or stupid.

Its actually one thing i like in this series, Masaki is oh so perfect Riaju guy
    but Miyuki still choose to worship his omnipotent and omniscient god Onii-sama

Eternal Emperor likes this.
  16. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    There's only subtle progress. Not giving it much progress yet is an excellent decision by the author: a sudden switch would make the characters unbelievable. Tatsuya still is an ice block, and has said himself that he has difficulties coping with the change.

By the way, the author went out of his way to say that Miyuki is the only one Tatsuya can feel something towards, that there would be no genetic problems, and set them up in an engagement. That creates expectations, no?

But even if they don't get together, which would be fine I guess, all the other rivals won't matter anyway. Do you really think those love rival characters and their interactions with the leads are necessary? In my opinion it would've been better had he used the pages on plot instead, or on interactions between Tatsuya and Miyuki.

I mean, very good for Masaki that he chases after Miyuki, but what is the relevance to the plot? What is the added value of the character Masaki?

17. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not read the novel but I don't agree with you.

It does not matter if he does that. He is not a victim, nor is he a hero. Actions and feelings are your own personal responsibility... if I love someone, I am not going to blame them for me loving them & them not loving me back. The way you view him as a victim is stupid, it is his own fault for not distancing himself from a person who does not accept your feelings.

Any person who keeps bothering or leeching around the person they like are disgusting. You are rejected, move on and let that person be happy & move on. Yet, you stay there to keep putting pressure, drama around them. If you cared, you would have moved on.
    My ex was one of my best friends, she even said she would dump her boyfriend if I think he is a bad person... I decided to distance myself from her. I mean, if I was the boyfriend I would not want my girl to have a person of the opposite sex have more trust & loyalty.
    Stop leeching on delusion & move on.

18. Eternal Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose I got your point.
    But Masaki’s feelings are relevant to the plot.
    Koichi was given a pretext to start scheming on how to separate Tatsuya from the Yotsuba.

First of all I never saw him as a victim just felt a bit sad for him.
    And he hasn’t even properly confessed to her and nor has she rejected him to his face and nor is he creating as much drama as you say. He’s currently willing to even just look at her from a distance.
    And Tatsuya is actually willing to go along with Miyuki’s decisions.
    And the one with romantic feeling for the other is Miyuki and not Tatsuya. He still thinks of her as his sister.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  19. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    That's ... not very much. What if Masaki just had a rivalry with Tatsuya and he was not completely in love with Miyuki. He just thought she was beautiful. Then, when the engagement goes public, Masaki's father sees the chance to dispute the engagement and try to betroth Miyuki with Masaki? Or maybe Koichi instigates Masaki's father in doing so? He did the exact same thing with Mayumi himself. On paper, they are a good match, why wouldn't they try it even if Masaki hasn't fallen head over heels for Miyuki?

That's just one alternative route the author could've taken. Only requires a small change to Masaki's father. No ridiculous teenage "she's the love of my life" bullshit anymore. A believable change at that, because a family head wouldn't want the Yotsuba to destroy the balance of the magic families.

20. Eternal Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Masaki in vol 19 says that he finds goddess to be the word that describes Miyuki best and that ever since he saw her he couldn’t feel satisfied with the other females anymore.