Spoiler Discussion in Spoiler Threads

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Westeller, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Cmdg0524

Cmdg0524 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dang, I wanted spoilers but all I see are discussions and rants about why nobody likes this novel. Lol! I don't understand why people look too much into a story. Just enjoy it! Read the story and move on! You either like it or you don't. Give it a 5 star rating or give it none. Don't bash on the author cause you don't like their stories. How rude and ungrateful! Make a story of your own and stop hating on the author's hard works! So much hate, man. Y'all need a new hobby. I love reading and I appreciate stories like this, angst and all.

Lulucute, Veille, ChanvreVert and 3 others like this.
  2. obelian underworld

obelian underworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to say but we can bash a story as much as we want if the writing is poor and the story is trash, we can hate the work if its garbage, as readers we kind of have that privilege . It is also not ungrateful because the authors don't give these novels out for free, they make money of this, we shouldn't be o so thankful that they spend a lot of time to write a novel, and we bash the novels not the authors. You can decide if you want to read into or not, it's your decision as it is ours. We don't need to make our own stories then the roles of those authors would be there for no reason. Just wanted to say:)

3. Cmdg0524

Cmdg0524 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said, don't like it don't read it but to each their own. You have your own opinion as I have mine. You say "we" as if you speak on behalf of everyone but thats just your assumption that nobody bashes authors. Regardless if they make money off of it or not, I am thankful. There's no reason why i shouldn't just because they make a living off of it. Also, you're damn right it's a privilege. I am a bookworm and I very much love my stories, angst and all, like I had previously mentioned. I appreciate their works and creativity. The works of an author is something not everyone is talented enough to do and a lot fail to accomplish. Every story is unique in its own way whether it's trash or not. However way you decide to take this is on you, this doesn't pertain to you whom doesn't bash on authors, I was specifically talking about those who do. That's all I have to say.

AnimeHuntress and Bonzai like this.
  4. uplzstfu

uplzstfu New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Came here for story plot discussion. Only found ppl ranting about ships and hating on characters every Single Damn time.

your crush likes this.
  5. MOMO26

MOMO26 Have a coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok Please people give us some spoilers huhuhu:cry::cry::cry::cry:

And NO ONE'S GONNA SAY ANY OPINION FIRST OKAY??? I DON'T CARE IF YOU HATE OGFL OR CP, ALL WE WANT HERE IS SPOILER, NOT A GODDAMN USELESS OPINION. GO AHEAD IF YOU WANNA STOP READING THIS, YOUR OPINION ARE UNHELPFUL, GO CRY IN THE TWITTER IF YOU'RE ANGRY SINCE IT'S WHERE YOU GUYS BARKS OPINION

shouahang58 likes this.
  6. talexus93

talexus93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ok, this is was just wholly uncalled for. That discussion/opinions was done with. Now, we’re just getting a bunch of people with their opinions complaining about others opinions. You guys aren’t helping as much as you THINK you are.

7. shouahang58

shouahang58 Empress of Being Super Lazy ↜(۳`∇´)۳

Reading List:
    Link
    Yall need to stop talking about how u feel.

This is a spoiler thread.

So take ya feelings to the discussion thread instead of here.

Nanashy likes this.
  8. shouahang58

shouahang58 Empress of Being Super Lazy ↜(۳`∇´)۳

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not even mad cause I get why my post was move to here. :blobwoah::blobwoah:

But it still needed to be said in that spoiler thread. :blob_catflip: cause all these ppl and they feels was just spamming the spoiler thread. :facepalm::facepalm:

other then that good job at doing ya work @ the staff of NU. :blobokhand:

9. Kumoshiro

Kumoshiro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very disrespectful to use this thread as a trash bin to hide the reasonable criticism of the non-spoiler content on spoiler threads.

The complaints about rants and opinions that does not add anything of the novel to the spoiler thread has been over and over on the spoilers threads. I understand the purpose of a forum is the discussion, but the usage of the non-spoiler post on spoiler threads has reached a state of bullying to the users who wants spoilers threads for spoilers and it is an excesive bullying from the moderators to simply exclude the replies that criticizes those post to just dump it in the way has been done in this topic.

If the moderators have no will to adress the issue of the excesive usage of the non-spoiler posts in spoiler threads, I would like to formally request as a very minimun to add a rule to include under a spoiler tag content that has rants/opinions on spoiler threats, in the same way spoilers has to be included under spoiler tags on discussion threats.

Dofu and shouahang58 like this.
  10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread isn't meant to be a trash bin. If I wanted to delete these posts, I would. And it would be fully justified, given that there is a pinned thread - this one - at the top of the subforum for people to discuss these grievances. Posts are not moved here to kill disucssions, but to put them in their proper place so they may continue without exacerbating the problem they decry.

I'm sorry you feel bullied, having to discuss this here rather than off topic in a spoiler thread, but this thread is one of the steps I've taken to address the issue. This thread alone has moved - *checks notes* - 255 off topic posts out of spoiler threads and prevented countless others. The addition of the Spoiler Curator account, similarly, is a step taken to make it easier for people to find spoilers.

We have been, and continue, to strike a balance between people sharing and people discussing spoilers, and, yes, you do have to live together.

Off the cuff, such a rule would be impractical and unenforceable. We will of course add it to the list of things we've considered and continue to consider in terms of how we handle this situation, but, yeah.

11. Kumoshiro

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks again for the reply. I understand the job of a moderator as a community manager is not easy and it gives a better opinion to see a will to hear and discuss the issue instead of ignore and censore it.

There was a time when my post were moved from a spoiler thread because the complaint of the discussion of opinions instead of spoilers. It feels bad to realize your post has been quarantined without a previous notice specially when there was not a rule that was really broken. Don't you think the people here would feel censored when they learn their replies became poof without notice and without a way of tracking it?

The people writing these post are not trying to pick a fight with other users, but are requesting for help because they felt the topic went off-topic with a discussion that does not add anything to said topic.

In other words, the rants/opinions/dislike to specific characters are the true off-topic content in a thread where people hope to find information that helps them to get an early access to content they didn't have yet (or are too lazy to read the entire novel).

How many times has it been that the complaint arises time and again? If the issue arises frequently maybe the solutions until today has been not entirely effective and requires a different solution.

This topic does not help to give a propper discussion because nobody opens it (you can see how little is the reading count for this topic compared with the spoiler threads) and that is because the content that people hope to get when coming to spoiler forum is to get spoilers, not discussions.

(Of course, I could be wrong and the people would want to get discussions instead of spoilers, but intuition told me that is not the case.)

Anyway, I already know the admins and mods have a certain posture about the issue, but it would be of help to request the opinion of the users that actively uses the spoiler forum in order to solve the issue.

Dofu likes this.
  12. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    guy A : rants/complaint about a specific characters in a spoiler thread
    guy B : complaints about guy A
    guy C : request guy A and B to stop
    guy D : post +1, popcorn, thankyous or whatever

from my pov at least, all 4 are derailing/cluttering the thread, no matter the intention.

no i don't. but then again, ppl can feel whatever they want to feel, that's not in anyone's control. it is 'feeling' afterall.

that'll depend on how busy the mods are. if you expect the mods to write a paragraph of reason for every little thing they did, then no, that's just not humanly possible.

that's easy. just click your post count to see all your post. unless they're deleted, you'll see it. if people replied (quoted) you, you'll know about it anyway, no matter in which thread their reply is.
    trackpost.jpg

suggest away then.

just because you never saw it (post/threads), doesn't mean there were none. This thread, and Curator-chan, as explained by @Westeller are some of the results of those 'opinions'.

in fact, your post(s) ending up here, were the results of 'opinions' (read: report) of other active users too.:blobalert:

AliceShiki, Rika77 and LaDyViL like this.
  13. Kumoshiro

Reading List:
    Link
    You say Guys A, B, C and D are derailing/cluttering the thread, but Guy A, the source of the derailing, is the only one whose post remain. That is an unfair treatment.

In my opinion, both people who wants only spoilers and who wants to debate are in the right, because the people who wants discussion also needs a space to share their view of the content they read. The complain is born when that discusion is played in a spoiler thread.

In that way, if only there could be a dedicated forum for Novel Discussion with the same format used in spoiler forum then the people who wants to debate would have a home to vent their views and the people who wants only spoilers would rest of those unwanted opinions. It could be even automatically created a new topic everytime it is added a new topic to spoiler forum and curator-chan could announce that topic is dedicated to opinions.

I have almost 2 years in this community and, altough I didn't contribute frequently with comments (because I'm not used to write in english) I can see this complaint is repetitive over time and also dislike that unwanted opinions. What I have been doing is give a like to the post that contains a true spoiler because I have noticed that post with spoilers does accumulate lots of likes) and that helps to identify the post that are spoilers (post with lots of likes = high chance to be spoiler).

About giving a notification to the users whose post were moved... It is not that difficult to solve, just a simple quotation of the said moved post and a reply in this topic to notify the movement and that makes the trick. That serves to notify the users whose post were moved and the community in general who doesn't know where those post came from.

Anyway... I would advice to don't take to hearth this complaints. Sure, this needs attention, but doesn't need to take it personal and adopt a defensive posture. Other people could be intimidated by the lack of courtesy.

Pd. I didn't knew a click over the messages count would bring me to the search of my own posts. Thank you.

Dofu likes this.
  14. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    report it then. you'd expect the mods to read each and every post slowly digesting what was written?

this forum is based on older xenforo forum sofware, which is already stopped being develop and superceeded by the newer version (look at Scribblehub's forum)

each extra function added to the forum means an extra plugin. the plugin either have to be bought, or self-develop by the admin, which means time, effort and all that. not to mention, being an outdated software, means most, if not all plugin developer (to buy and gets support from) has moved on to the next version.

at this point in time, it is unlikely any new plugin will be added, not until the forum is upgraded, which actually not too preferable for most user (last time the issue was brought up, at least). or unless it is extremely necessary (like the one that give birth to Curator-chan).

you're assuming how things work, and how simple (or hard) it was, and how much time a mod has vs the amount of stuff to do.
    i can't say too much for the forum side, being an NU-only mod (though i do know more than normal user), but on NU side, we process at least 400-500 stuff every day. often more. i'd imagine the forum has no less, if only slightly

AliceShiki and Kaylee like this.
  15. Sourwer.XDD

Sourwer.XDD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please stop discussing if sis is evil or not. :blobhero:
    If someone can drop some legitimate spoilers about sis, then please do so!!:pikablob:

16. Scarlet Reed

Scarlet Reed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry but they're allowed to discuss whatever they want as long as it stays within topic and is about untranslated content
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/discussion-in-spoiler-threads.113527/

altho i am also camping for spoilers and not discussion myself

MiserableSOUL and maenochka like this.
  17. Paaaat

Paaaat Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THIS THREAD IS A MESS. Please create another one for discussion in your opinions.

droopypup and mrs.apache like this.
  18. zerene

zerene Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree, I came here to look for spoilers but all I saw is opinion about the sister

19. Fostofina

Fostofina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please refer to the rules, discussion of spoilers is allowed in the spoiler thread. Also there is literally no where else to discuss spoilers as discussion threads do not allow spoilers.

20. DivaBOO17

DivaBOO17 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People can't seem to get it in their heads that this is a SPOILER THREAD not a DISCUSSION one, a lot of spoiler threads in novelupdate forums are like this as well, frankly I didn't come here to see all of your opinions or problems in specific ropic regarding the manhwa/manhua/manga, I came here to see spoilers thats it