Spoiler Discussion in Spoiler Threads

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Westeller, Oct 9, 2020.

1. VioletBlue

VioletBlue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know if it is possible. But having something similar to tags for every thread can help I guess?
    tags can make the search easer and can help getting the points we want faster if worked.

2. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Those people are sooooo freakin' annoying. A spoiler thread is for discussion of spoilers (content that has yet to appear in the clatest chapter translation). That is how it works in ALL the other places on the internet (other forums, Reddit, blogs, websites, etc.). This is the only place I know where there are people who have no clue and insist that there can be no discussion.

3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    VioletBlue and Westeller like this.
  4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding to this, my recent additions that I particularly like are:
    It gets quite annoying when the threads you're watching got cluttered with multiple posts of "me too" when they should have start a PM with the person involved.

Uncopyright, Ddraig and AliceShiki like this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You can technically discuss spoilers in Novel Discussion I suppose?

I agree with Westeller that it would be a super clunky solution though...

6. Nanashy

Nanashy Scarybun of Horror

Reading List:
    Link
    Another problem with discussing spoilers in spoiler thread is that some don't want to actually spoiler what happens, but just keep teasing and asking people to guess. Like there were several pages of people trying to find out who what where, but the person who knew just kept on with the "no, guess again". Should such behavior be reported, or is it acceptable/legal for this forum?
    Although this doesn't happen often.

kawaii12345 likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If people were willing to do the guesswork, then that means they were enjoying it.

It's not really a problem if the person that knows the raws wanna deliver the spoilers in a weird way.

8. Nanashy

Nanashy Scarybun of Horror

Reading List:
    Link
    I have special words to say towards that type of weird...

Not all of them were enjoying it for sure.
    While I agree that what info is being spoiled depends on the person who has read the raws or foreign spoiler forums, there should be some rule to not continue with the tease for like more than 3(?) messages. If one doesn't want to spoil a specific juicy scene, then they could say "wait for translated chapter" or drop/ignore the scene topic altogether.

I guess this is a lost cause for me.

kawaii12345 likes this.
  9. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Small discussion is ok, I guess. As long as there's no hot headed user that keep arguing over the same thing over and over again. We all know the type.

10. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone asks for fan art because they want to see what the characters look like and you share it in spoilers is that okay?

11. afelice

afelice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally i don't mind, but it will be better to credit the source/artist and state that it is a fan art, not the official ones.
    And use it as reference (we are not making an album in spoiler thread lol)

Raven Evernight likes this.
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ +1 to definitely saying it's fan art if it's not official. That way people aren't as upset if the art doesn't match their own imagination.

To be clear, sharing art is a bit off topic, but imo would be such a natural part of the discussion that you don't really need to take it somewhere else. Just, y'know, don't derail the entire thread with pages of art discussion. Less of an issue now, I hope, with the new spoiler ToCs. ... Some art may itself count as spoilers, though, now that I think about it. Depends on what it portrays.

13. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding to what has been explained above, if you were to do so, please hide them behind spoilers.

Blitz and Raven Evernight like this.
  14. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/threadmarks.3939/ for XF 1.x
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/threadmarks-pro.6615/ for XF 2.x
    Honestly would be easiest solution per say, The posters/staff/Creator of thread (depending on perms given in admin console) can just add simple thread-mark while posting specifying the spoiler of XXX char/XXX chap

and it auto builds a Index + has a reader mode where person will be able to view only thread-marked posts, I believe this would end the trouble/ranting of posters not wanting to read essays of discussions and only look at spoilers.

15. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imho this is just another variation on a ToC, but requiring a plugin and manual additions by either the thread starter (good luck) or moderators (ew) every time someone wants to add to it. I suppose they could be enabled for the entire forum with permission for *everyone* to freely edit them, though.

The current ToC system seems to be working out for now.

Mycutiepie and AliceShiki like this.
  16. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, It is a variation but I find this the easiest to be maintained one, I mean if someone is gonna bother making a post with all the hotlinking, It would be much eachier to just tag the post itself, and the reader mode is added convenience.

iirc when I used it back in the forum I had, It had permissions to limit to certain sections or usergroups. So in case giving access to everyone is considered iffy due to potential trolling, it could be given to regular users instead ( if NU forum has such sort of usergroup ladder)

17. shouahang58

shouahang58 Empress of Being Super Lazy ↜(۳`∇´)۳

Reading List:
    Link
    Yall need to stuck to spoilers, this isnt a place for you to talk about how butt hurt you are here. This is a SPOILER THREAD.

18. elizabeth.

elizabeth. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all it's a story , if you don't like it you don't have to read it. And secondly this is a spoiler thread , not a discussion thread. I'm sure there's one where you can discuss. Thirdly if you come to a spolier thread that's mostly because you like the story and want to know what happens next . So if you don't appreciate it at all, then you don't have to be here.
    I'm not here to justify/debate anything but I'm stating a few obvious facts here . Thankyou and have a nice day ^-^

Meri likes this.
  19. Rakshanu

Rakshanu Immortal Ero

Reading List:
    Link
    Another two entitled posters who think, forum is only supposed to work only the way they want.

Then maybe maybe, before posting Seriously start reading the rules of forum and sub-forum you post in, Can you see a pinned thread in this sub-forum? - https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/discussion-in-spoiler-threads.113527/ The one that screams discussion of anything spoiler related is supposed to be done in this forum and no one can tell you otherwise? Because you clearly didn't with the amount of self entitlement you hold of others should behave in a way you deem proper of spoiler sub-forum than the actual purpose of the sub-forum.
    Just in case you still manage to miss it, here is quoted text from it

This is a forum, a purpose of forum is to generate discussion - If you don't like it, that is entirely your problem.

According to you, A person should only read a story if everything in its is great without a single flaw, else clearly he shouldn't, because talking about flaws and things you dislike in a story is unappreciative , Sasuga. Ever heard of the term constructive criticism?

Why would I make myself, like a mass murderer or rapist if the story has those characters and wants to paint them in holy light? I invested 200 chaps in this to only see the whole characterization it set up is 150+ chaps to be utterly scrapped and only goes further in that regard as per novel spoilers, why can't I express my dissatisfaction over the same? Do explain.

If you don't like discussions, learn to skip the posts and hit next page, block those posters for all I care, but don't pretend to be on a moral high ground with your sarcastic posts of "this is spoiler sub-forum" , We know - we aren't illiterate.

Thus before stating your statements as facts, make sure those statements in itself have any face value whatsoever.

evanesco99211 likes this.
  20. anamika04

anamika04 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you very much!!!

evanesco99211 likes this.