Discussion Guide on How to Fail at Online Dating

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by luoxinle, May 1, 2022.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Guide on How to Fail at Online Dating has been sitting on my "to read list" for a while now, and I am super excited to start reading. I'm hoping for a sweet and funny romance without too much second-hand embarrassment or unnecessary misunderstandings along the way.

Special welcome to Book Club members!

DojaDoge and Eccentricstate like this.
  2. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahaha, I'm laughing so much at how Jing Huan is swearing. Very creative!

DojaDoge likes this.
  3. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    We finally find out what's going on with someone else playing his character! I'm looking forward to learning the booster's identity. I have this hilarious thought that he, the catfish, and the previous owner of Jing Huan's account are all the same person. But that would be too much of a coincidence, right?

So, Xiang Huaizhi doesn't know who stole his account either - I'm sensing a future group hunt for the villain.

Also, Immortal Meng Meng is seeming more and more like a bad guy, here. The scum man tricked a bunch of women, but Meng Meng initiated cyber bullying against the other victims instead of blaming the man. She didn't deserve to be tricked, but she certainly deserves whatever vengeance is coming to her.

Omg, This chapter is cracking me up, especially the author's note at the end.

4. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    THE BIG REVEAL
    !!!

5. Eccentricstate

Eccentricstate ❀ Face-Slapping Champion ❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting the novel today :blobmelt: looking forward to a cute story since I’ve been reading a lot of dog blood lately lol

So, my guess is MCs streaming buddy is also that Yearning guy he hates, which will also be the ML obvi lol

luoxinle likes this.
  6. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    It is super cute, funny and fluffy.

Omgomgomg this is my favorite part of novels. When you start to get really excited for them to get together. Squeee!

Ahhh, when are these two going to figure out that they're gay! And like each other! Ahhh, dying...

Why do I have the feeling that this visit from the parents is going to be a mess?

My predictions:
    1. Xiang Huaizhi will realize that Jing Huan is not a poor little orphan Annie
    2. Jing Huan's parents will either catch them in a compromising position, or at least notice the atmosphere between them is not quite right
    3. Jing Huan's parents will arrive just in time to accidentally drop some good advice that leads to our MC and ML either finally getting together, making up after a fight, or JH realizing he has real feelings

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to it!

Eccentricstate likes this.
  7. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    FINALLY!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blobparty:

Ughhh, this is my least favorite part of the novel. I feel so bad for everyone involved. I just want it to be over so I can get my sweet sweet fluff.

Finally!!! We're counting down the secrets, I think there's only one left. :blobpopcorn:

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh man, I haven't even read the whole chapter, but I had to come here to laugh. "Oh no. My phone dropped. Guess it's broken."

Whoops, okay, now we're just down to one secret.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  8. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm getting flashbacks to The Daily Life of Being the Campus Idol's Fake Boyfriend; "just a couple of straight guys, doing straight things, totally straight, right?"

9. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    Brooooo ML figured it out so quickly!!! I’m screaming and crying in the club rn but I gotta go back to work on this cliff hanger :blobsob:

luoxinle likes this.
  10. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    Really gotta feel bad for ML, he’s slowly falling for MC and meanwhile he’s basically getting slagged for something he didn’t do :blobxd:

luoxinle likes this.
  11. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right? At least we know it'll have a happy ending. And I feel slightly better about it since ML knows MC is a man. The "gay panic" part of some BL novels leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Eccentricstate likes this.
  12. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    05/05/2022

Rating: 4.0

Pairing Type: catfishing, gamer MC x top mmorg gamer ML; shou mc x gong ml; shameless mc; doting gong; gong with a sense of humor; still standard formula gonglolTropes: gaming; catfishing; MMORGs

Heat level: medium-high (3.5/5 spicy scale; open door with more explicit language) a majority of the book was closed door, but there was one extra at the end that was pretty surprising lol

Re-readability: might reread

This is actually the first novel I’ve read with gaming as the central concept of all the drama lol. I’ve only ever read gaming arcs from QTs and it hadn’t been a genre I was interested in.

That being said this was very cute! I would say the central most interesting aspect of this novel was the characters. I thought the main cast were all pretty likable.

I especially thought the main couple was sweet and a little different from what you might usually see (to some extent). I thought it was hilarious that MC had spent so much time pretending to be coquettish and spoiled that he literally became a little coquettish and spoiled. The gap between his game personal and himself was also pretty funny.

I also liked the ML, I’d consider him a variant on your standard formula gong. He eats a little vinegar and is mostly a quiet guy, but it’s not excessive. But he’s a variant in that he’s doting and best of all has a sense of humor. Yes, he will actually laugh and play along in jokes. Should that be out of the ordinary and a breath of fresh air? Probably not but by god it is lol

I did think the novel was a little long. It probably could’ve benefitted from some editing down and trimming of the fat. There were some points were like 20 chapters went by and not much had happened. Probably my biggest gripe with it. It’s allllmost bordering on a slice of life and I’ve found that slice of life’s bore me to tears lol. Luckily it managed to keep the points of intrigue going so the longer portions didn’t drag as long as it could have.

Im also happy they didn’t drag on some of the angsty aspects or it would’ve changed the tone of the novel.

All in all, I would recommend it! And it got be to download WoW, so that counts for something loooool

luoxinle and DojaDoge like this.
  13. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I love that when the MC starts pursuing the ML for real the second time, the ML is like "what, I thought that was all part of his act, he's really like this?" MC only knows one way to pursue someone, whether he's faking or not. It also must have been a big relief for the ML who was feeling like he fell in love with someone that didn't really exist. I was also delighted by the surprise spice at the end, and super grateful that our translators went out of their way to look for it. In case anyone missed it, there's a chapter 120.

DojaDoge and Eccentricstate like this.
  14. DojaDoge

DojaDoge Formerly known as Ms.EliteNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked that part too!

I'm going to have to take a break for now because I am having a hard time getting on discord, and couldn't get access to the last part of the novel. TTFN!

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    luoxinle likes this.