Discussion Luo's Book Club (C-novels)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by luoxinle, Feb 2, 2022.

?

What novel should we read in September?

1. Cannon Fodder Fake Master Was Stunned After Being Reborn

2. Source Of Calamity

3. Outrageous

4. The Legend of Sun Knight

5. No vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone want to join a book club with me?

Currently reading: Rebirth of the Pampered Wife's Daily Life --- ROTPWDL Discussion Thread

Previously read:
    Reborn as a Substitute --- RAAS Discussion Thread - Note: this novel does not meet our requirements as it has an abusive ML. Mea culpa.
    The Villain's Face Slapping Counterattack --- TVFSC Discussion Thread
    Lemon Lightning --- LL Discussion Thread
    The Time I Found Out the Heroine of a Certain Top Post Was Me --- TTIFOHCTPWM Discussion Thread
    He's Mine, No Objections Allowed --- HMNOA Discussion Thread
    After the White Moonlight Came Back, the Stand-in Fell Into Unemployment Crisis --- AWMCB Discussion Thread
    I See You --- ISY Discussion Thread
    Rivals in Love --- RIL Discussion Thread
    She is the Protagonist --- SITP Discussion Thread
    Give You Two Green Hats --- GYTGH Discussion Thread
    Back To The Beginning Of Ming To Do Charity --- BTTBOMTDC Discussion Thread
    Guide on How to Fail at Online Dating --- GHFOD Discussion Thread
    Very Happy --- VH Discussion Thread
    The Daily Life of Being the Campus Idol's Fake Boyfriend --- DLBCIFB Discussion Thread
    Ascending, Do Not Disturb --- ADND Discussion Thread

Rules:
    • New members are always welcome - just introduce yourself here and start reading the next book
    • We'll read one novel each month (it's okay to skip the ones you don't want to read)
    • We'll all choose the next book together
    • We discuss the novel in the discussion thread
    • We discuss our personal lives and what to read next here in the book group thread
    • Try to vote every month, even if you're just choosing the "no vote" option
    • Try to post about the book under a spoiler tag with the chapter you've read up to, so that other people know whether they can read it or not, like so:
      I thought chapter five was awesome because... I wonder whether...?
    • Introduce yourself with a few things you like or don't like in a novel, and a few novels you've really liked or plan to read.
    Kinds of books:
    • BL, GL, BG, and no CP are all welcome
    • Chinese novels only
    • Completed novels only
    • No harem, reverse-harem, rapist becomes lover, incest, tragedy/bad ending, abusive leads
    • Book List
    Here are some examples of things I've read before: Luo's List. I love rebirth, transmigration, contract marriage, and face-slapping, so expect to see a lot of those.

For folks wondering how to add the spoiler cut - it's under the plus sign:
    NU Spoiler.png

Announcement Posts:
    Request for input - frequency
    Policy decision - 1 book/month
    Luo writes a short story
    6 month anniversary and policy decisions
    1 year anniversary zoom meeting
    1 year anniversary chat room meeting

Novel and Poll Announcement Posts:
    Monthly novel announcement - February 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - March 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - April 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - April 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - May 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - May 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - June 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - June 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - July 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - July 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - August 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - August 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - September 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - September 2022
    Computer broken, no poll - October 2022
    Computer broken, no novel - October 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - November 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - December 2022
    Monthly novel announcement - December 2022
    Monthly poll announcement - January 2023
    Monthly novel announcement - January 2023
    Monthly poll announcement - February 2023
    Monthly poll announcement - April 2023
    Monthly novel announcement - April 2023
    Monthly poll announcement - May 2023
    Monthly novel announcement - May 2023
    Monthly poll announcement - June 2023
    Monthly novel announcement - June 2023

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    erynalu, elideli, aoiisora and 9 others like this.
  2. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in:blob_pompom:

luoxinle likes this.
  3. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay! What kinds of books do you like to read?

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Count me in! I love the idea of discussing the books I'm reading, but I've been unable to find a good place to do this on NUF. I don't tend to read spoilers about a book until I've finished it so that forum isn't a good fit, and I tend to read books in Chinese so the LCD forum doesn't work either. I do read a lot of Japanese novels, but they tend to be junk that isn't worth talking about.

As for my favorite kinds of books, I'm open to just about anything; especially if the prose (in Chinese) is good, and it has strong characterization. I find that wuxia and proper historical (ie. about real people, places, and/or events) novels tend to be the strongest.

I'm always on the lookout for good female characters who get to do awesome things so I read a fair bit of Romance as well. But in that genre, the Dreaded Male Love Interest will often show up to kill my enjoyment of a particular book. For these reasons, I read GL novels but avoid BL ones. However, I'm willing to give even the latter a shot if the DMLI isn't in the story.

luoxinle likes this.
  5. Deleted member 343155

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to read BG novels with historical setting like To Be a Virtuous Wife. I'm always looking for strong and witty female leads. I also love face slapping. I can read a 2000 chapi above novel just for the face slapping:D
    I kinda hate smut so I try to avoid smutty novels as much as possible. Recently I'm thinking of reading some good No CP male mc quick transmigration novels

ladyartemis and luoxinle like this.
  6. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Awesome, I think we'll have similar taste. I do like good smut, but most smut is terrible, so I'm happy to avoid it (though it's sometimes hard to know ahead of time).

Are you interested in any of the novels in the poll? Are there any other novels you're thinking about reading?

I love that you're reading the novels in Chinese - that will be fun to discuss (I usually read in English, but I'm often going back to the original to see how something was said). We will be reading translated novels only, to make it accessible for folks who don't speak Chinese.

ScyllaNeil likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    camping~
    put serious stuff aside like @ToastedRossi listed on Cnovel, recently this cat mtl bunch of entertainment Koi novel~ it more about happy go lucky chinese netizen blasting each other which imo hilarious~ there interesting cliche and trope flying around. there also metaphysics(?) stuff which like fantasy element. talking about metaphysics it funny when character said "comrade, please don't believe on feudal superstition" but still encounter supernatural stuff.... a classic comedy perhaps? so this cat will more interested toward comedy stuff~

first Cnovel this cat read is published novel, Romance of The Three Kingdoms~ for wn section it should be Swallowed Star? for romance Wn maybe Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang and Meow Meow Meow?

anyway when talk about comedy this cat will pop up~

luoxinle likes this.
  8. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like comedy, I highly recommend Your Memes Are Better Looking Than You. It was laugh-out-loud funny. Your Scandals Are Way Cuter Than You is the sequel, which I haven't read yet.

@asriu @LazyWalnut @ToastedRossi
    I will give it a few more days to see if anyone else wants to join us, and then we'll pick our first book. Please chime in on what books you'd like to add to our book club reading list. I put a few random books from my to-read list in the poll, but I want to make sure our first book is something we all want to read, so it doesn't have to be one of the books in the poll.

Deleted member 343155 and asriu like this.
  9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of the books in the list, "Ascending, Do Not Disturb". For a xianxia novel to pique my interest it has to be either some sort of silly story or have an unusual story hook. This book seems to have it, and it's been on my "Future" list for a couple of years now.

Aside from that book, I'd also suggest "the Legend of the Condor Heroes" and "Ballad of the Desert". The first is quite possibly the backbone of modern Chinese literature - just about every writer borrows from it in some way, and it's really a book that all readers should at least check out. The other book is by a really good Romance writer, a writer who isn't mentioned nearly enough on NUF.

luoxinle likes this.
  10. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    @ToastedRossi I love Tong Hua! I think her best work was "Lost You Forever". Every Chinese Romance reader should read that book.

luoxinle likes this.
  11. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    @asriu & @LazyWalnut & @Szara What do you think about reading "Ascending, Do Not Disturb" for our first novel? It's a Xianxia BG novel by the same author as To Be a Virtuous Wife. Her novels tend to focus on the female lead. The male lead is there, and is relevant to the plot, but generally not the focus of the emotional drive of the story. Of course, no guarantee that this novel will be like that, since I haven't read it yet.

12. mYboiS

mYboiS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in! I love discussing on novels that i read!
    I only read BL novels, though. Hope that's not a problem. I don’t do mpreg, or ABO
    Here are some of my favorites:
    "The Moon is Coming to Me"
    "Everyone thinks that I like him"
    "Lemon Lightning"
    "Kaleidoscope of death"
    (diffinately need to read and discuss on this one)
    "Fan Service Paradox"

Let us know when you start. Definitely love to join!!!

luoxinle likes this.
  13. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Our first novel will be Ascending, Do Not Disturb

If you plan to read it with us, please comment on the thread here: ADND forum thread

If you don't plan to read this novel, but want to read the next one with us, please respond to THIS comment with:
    • Something about Ascending, Do Not Disturb (why you don't want to read it, what does sound interesting about it, etc.)
    • What book or type of book you'd like to read next
    Don't make it too hard on yourself, a few words is fine. Participants will help choose our next book.

Remember: readers head to the book-specific thread, non-readers should post here in the book club thread (of course, readers can post here too!)

writtenforcup likes this.
  14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    aacending do not disturb is lighthearted one, unlike the to be virtuous wive~ it have some hmm drama? struggle? thing that hinder protagonist but overall not so mind demand~ the approach of xiungxinist aka cultivator world not so different with mortal world imo quite refreshing approach~ well this like review but oh well~ no this cat not finnish read it but close enuf maybe later..... this cat really busy this days

luoxinle likes this.
  15. Deleted member 343155

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh I'm reading Eight Treasures Trousseau at the moment.. will start reading ADND once I finished reading ETT

luoxinle likes this.
  16. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm liking Ascending, Do Not Disturb a lot so far. It started off a little slow, introducing the characters and the world, a little foreshadowing, but it picks up a lot around chapter 25. Highly recommend everyone give it a try!

Also, don't worry about being on the same chapter as everyone else - I'll be happy to go back and comment on chapter 1 when you comment on it, and I'll be careful not to give spoilers!

I think the group will pick up a bit once we've read a few novels, since people will be able to see what things we've read so far. For the next few novels, I'm going to pick something shorter, something under (or very close to) 100 chapters. Feel free to make recommendations!

17. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it too late to join ? :aww:

18. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    It's never too late to join! If you're reading (or want to start reading) Ascending, Do Not Disturb, come discuss it here. If you want to wait for the next book, let us know what books you'd like to read with us!

ReaderReader likes this.
  19. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi folks, I thought of a very serious concern, and want to get everyone's input.

We all read at different speeds, and the forum is great for that since we can use spoiler tags to discuss the book while we read at our own pace. People can even go back and read our older books and comment on them (and I for one am always happy to discuss books I finished no matter how much time has passed).

That said, how long should we wait before starting the next book? I'd like to pace it so that most of the book group has finished one book before we start the next one. But I'm disabled and currently doing nothing but read right now, so I go through books pretty fast, so I don't know how fast other people read?

If you are reading (or plan to start reading) ADND, please comment on this post what chapter you are currently on, or when you expect to start reading. The more information I have the better, and I really want you (yes YOU) to be part of our book group, and that means I want to hear from you. This will inform my pacing going forward.

@LazyWalnut @ToastedRossi @asriu @Szara @mYboiS @ReaderReader

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  20. Deleted member 343155

Reading List:
    Link
    I will start reading ADND in about two weeks..:blobsmilehappyeyes:

luoxinle likes this.