Discussion Very Happy

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by luoxinle, Apr 2, 2022.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read most of this author's other work and am super excited to start reading Very Happy (美滋滋). I'm hoping for a sweet romance, some good face-slapping, and a little entertainment circle intrigue.

Special welcome to Book Club members!

2. Eccentricstate

Eccentricstate ❀ Face-Slapping Champion ❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking forward to reading this!

I’ve never read any of this author’s works before, so maybe I’ll discover a new fave!
    I’m hoping for something light-hearted and fun, with a ML that spoils MC :blobpats: but I’m also be open to being surprised.
    I also second the face-slapping lol

Munimuyi and luoxinle like this.
  3. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    So the cannon fodder is reborn instead of our leads? Interesting.... I have a feeling Song Yu's plan is not going to go as he hopes. After it turns out differently, will he think the dream is fake, or realize that there was a problem with his plan? I noticed this novel has the tag "multiple reincarnated individuals". I wonder who else is reborn?

4. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn’t even acknowledge that he may have reincarnated and thought he just had a precognition loool

5. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    True, it's not technically reincarnation - just a hint of an alternate future/past. I wonder if he'll get more memories/visions.

Eccentricstate likes this.
  6. writtenforcup

writtenforcup i wanna fffff

Reading List:
    Link
    IT'S APRIL- I'M STARTING THE BOOK NOW
    MY SENSE OF TIME IS MESSED UP

Munimuyi and luoxinle like this.
  7. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a little bored by this seemingly simple MC. The translator assures us he's not as innocent as he seems. I'm hoping we see some scheming soon.

8. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, we finally see some hints of the MC's cleverness. I feel like I'm still waiting for the plot, though. What are the MC's goals? What is his plan to achieve those goals? What about ML? There have been some hints of drama (ML not liking to be called Xu, for example), but nothing is clear yet.

9. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    Song Yu is a total tsundere lol he’s now lowkey Li Zhao’s friend. I feel like Li Zhao knew he was being shady and decided he wasn’t a threat and opted to use him a personal vending machine :blobjoy:

10. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like Yan Ting is slowly abducting Li Zhao, like boiling a frog in warm water. Can't any of these MLs just say what they mean?

Oof, another novel that's hitting close to home. Watching Yan Ting struggling with an eating disorder is so sad. Here's hoping he pulls through and starts taking care of his body again.

11. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew Li Zhao would be scrappy, I just knew it lol

12. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally agree.
    "...but don’t scold my food parent. I just finished drinking his milk tea." :blobjoy: I'm dying laughing.

I feel like Song Yu isn't actually mean, or even tsundere, he's just hangry (hungry/angry). :cookie:

This story is way darker than I was expecting. I'm a little worried about our ML. I usually avoid novels with a yandere lead.

13. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the exact same thing. I’m hoping he doesn’t go too far on the yandere spectrum. Luckily, the tags say “possessive lover” but not “male yandere”, so I’m guessing he holds back on the darkness that stems from his past…

luoxinle likes this.
  14. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not too proud to admit that I cried like a little baby lol

15. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man, I'm dying laughing over the variety show. Li Zhao is just having a blast.

16. Eccentricstate

Reading List:
    Link
    I completed it! It got a little long at the end, the author probably could’ve trimmed off a little fat. I also kept getting the characters confused cause there were a lot of similar names. Had to backtrack like… wait, which face did Li Zhao slap?
    Regardless, it was a really fun read! I liked the main character, he seemed really innocent and dumb and the beginning but you later learn he’s pretty crafty. I was a little worried about male lead since he was very doting but he did give of major potential yandere vibes. I also felt like it was a slight plot hole that Yan Ting’s psychosis was never really discussed between the mains.

In many ways this reminded me of “My Husband is Suffering from a Terminal Illness”. Personally, I thought that was a slightly better read but anyone you liked that novel will certainly like this one and vice versa.

The face slapping was exactly what I was expecting *chefs kiss*. Thought the story was a lot darker than expected and I cried a LOT because of the two main’s tragic backstories. Though overall I would say this is mostly a light-hearted entertainment novel with plenty of face slapping and a doting ML.

Would recommend :)

luoxinle likes this.
  17. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man, so my laptop charger broke a couple days ago, so I've been reading this on my phone and not posting comments since it's so much less convenient. But! My new charger has arrived, and I have returned!

I basically agree with everything @Eccentricstate said. Also,

Once again, our heroes are the last ones to know they have feelings for each other. I think the way they got together made a LOT of sense, though. ML is just too terrified to make a move because the stakes are too high. Meanwhile, MC just needed some reassurance from a well-timed supporting role, and then charged ahead.

The Song Yu storyline cracked me up. I feel like he really lucked out that his first attempt to crush the MC was to kill him with kindness, thus saving him from retaliation from the MC/ML (though he couldn't escape retaliation from fate). Then he was smart enough to figure out he wasn't the lead, and changed course fast enough to escape the fate of cannon fodder.

I'm super annoyed by one of my pet peeves, which is poorly written mental illness. That's not how people recover! This is totally unrealistic. I also really hate the idea that someone will recover from mental illness due to falling in love. It is true that you need social connection and support, but a single lover doesn't cut it. To recover from mental illness, you need a robust support network of clinicians (therapists/psychiatrists), friends, and family (or family-like friendships). Trying to put all of the pressure on one relationship leads to toxic abusive dynamics, and does not lead to recovery.

18. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    What actors would you choose for the characters if it were made into a drama?

For Li Zhao (the MC), I would pick Fan Jin Wei.

19. ChocolatChan

ChocolatChan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I already read very happy. It was pretty fun ride.
    I really love the main character happy go- lucky personality. You don't usually get a main character without any toxicity and negativity, so it was refreshing to see. For the ml lead, I do like him, but it was mostly cuz I'm a sucker for male yandere. And he definetly have potential to be a yandere. Overall, they really complement each other, epecially since their conversation felt so natural. For me that was the real charm of this novel.

luoxinle likes this.
  20. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG!!! MY FAVORITE!! ^ω^

luoxinle likes this.