Recruitment Newbie here, Searching for a Korean -> English Translator

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Burai1992, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Burai1992

Burai1992 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, Burai1992 here.

I joined this site to find a Korean -> English Translator for a rather obscure Korean Alternate History novel about An Jung-geun failing to assassinate Ito Hirobumi which lead to Korea being a Japanese colony to this very day, that I really want to see an English-translated version of in honor the 100th anniversary of Korea's March 1st independence movement: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/in-search-of-the-epitaph-keijo-showa-year-62.92181/

If you speak Korean, please PM me if you're interested.

2. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    It might be difficult right now to get this (or any Korean novel) translated since a lot of Korean-English translators have been hit with Cease and Desist by Koran publishers. You might have to just stick with machine translations, sorry.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What the fox said and companies have most likely hired the only good translators left

4. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Well how do we avoid a Cease and Desist from Moonji Publishing (문학과지성사) (文學과知性社) ("In Search of the Epitaph: Keijo, Showa year 62"'s original publisher)? And no, I don't want to use a crappy online translator, and I want a professional translator.

5. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, then you have to negotiate with the publisher to get the license (which costs money) before it can be translated. The publisher might just refuse to give the license or it may cost too much to get the license if the publisher does agree. :blobsweat_2:

6. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry I don't want to negotiate with the publisher, I want a Korean -> English Translator as soon as possible. I really want to see the long-awaited English translation of Hideyo Kinoshita and the search of the erased epitaph, is all I'm saying.

7. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you won't be able to find a Korean to English translator willing to do it for you for free. It's as simple as that. Either negotiate with the publisher and do it above the table or pay a translator to do it privately for you for an absurdly high price. You can't have your cake and eat it.

8. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, can you tell me how to negotiate with Moonji Publishing ( http://moonji.com/ )? And paying a translator? Well at the time of of writing this, I noticed I have $135 in my money thing. How does money work around here?

9. ParallelGod

ParallelGod Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude the first book is 224k characters... that already costs over $4000. That's only if you want PROFESSIONAL that actually has a degree in translation (So yeah... that's why some of those pro are ignoring you, even if you're looking for people that just translates korean webnovels and such... it will cost about $300 at least).

10. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually Part 1 is 22.4k characters long, and Part 2 is 23.3k characters long, which means the entire book is 45.7k characters long. The main reason why the entire book is that long is because Bok Geo-il decided to make it take place in every month of 1987 (Showa year 62). Guess that's the main reason why "In Search of the Epitaph: Keijo, Showa year 62" was over-looked for god knows how long.

11. ParallelGod

ParallelGod Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Burai, I know it's confusing on how to count in Korean, so I'll clarify this for you.The word '만 ' is ten thousand...not thousand, therefore 22.4만 is 224,000. Sometimes even I as Korean speaker get confused with the concept as well, and I'm not sure why we even use '만 'to count words not '천'(thousand).

LiLi041, Wu Jizun and Wujigege like this.
  12. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    You speak Korean? If that's case, did you actually read the entire novel? Because I sure didn't

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice, ask for spoilers.
    You need spoilers not a translator.
    As someone like alike, who sought and hired translators, be ready for disappointment.
    People here think it's easy to do what I do.
    It's not.
    A translator could translate the first few chapters well and give you Machine translation for the remaining one lol

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  14. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, how long will it take to translate a chapter?

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    A few hours to a day. It can cost up to $100 for one chapter.
    So I say give up.

16. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the entire book is 16 chapters long (With the first 4 chapters being how Bok Geo-il got the idea for "In Search of the Epitaph: Keijo, Showa year 62" in the first place, as well as an introduction to the alternate timeline itself where An Jung-geun failed to assassinate Ito Hirobumi which lead to Imperial Japan never becoming a part of the Axis Powers): https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=O4qwAwAAQBAJ&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA1

So it looks like it will take me to at least October to finally reach $1600.

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not clear but I wish you the best of luck

18. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    What? I reached my goal, so aren't you gonna translate all 16 chapters of "In Search of the Epitaph"?