Feature Request Parent and Child tags

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Jeebus, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Nom de Plume suggested I make a feature request for this.

See the original thread, here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/reverse-rape-tag-on-nu.61086/page-4#post-3855274

Basically, I'd like to see similar tags under a larger, umbrella tag. So, for similar tags like BL and Shounen Ai, we put them both under "Gay Romance". If someone doesn't want any gay romance, they can just exclude the whole category in one click. However, if someone wants something more specific, they can drill down deeper into the "Gay Romance" tag for more discrete sub-categories like "BL" and "Shounen Ai". Same could be done for graphic and sexual stuff. If I don't want any sex, I can just exclude the "Sex" parent tag, but if I really want "Anal" and "Rape" content, I can expand the "Sex" tag and specifically include those.

Edit:
    A couple people have criticized my examples. I'm not a tagger, so I'll include a better example from someone with tagging experience from the post below:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Astaroth and Pythagoras Theorem like this.
  2. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol... better examples were in the previous thread

Protagonist
    + Beautiful
    + Ugly
    + Strong

Etc

Astaroth likes this.
  3. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those too. The utility is nearly endless!

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    you made horrible examples, you used genres as if they were tags.

I do think it's a very good suggestion, but your example was terrible.
    *nod nod*

5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I'm not too into the tagging side of things. I'll leave it to the professionals to come up with better examples.

For those who are active in tagging, list some other useful examples. Maybe that will help convince @Tony to implement this.

6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm....pretty sure this was suggested before, and forgot what the reply on it was.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it was too... T.T

But well, we can always hope! >.<

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was probably in that monstrous convo if it can't be found in the thread. The problem with it was probably that it's not something that is on high priority for NU's improvement. Another that I could think of is that its implementation wouldn't be a small side feature. The ones that will be affected afaik would be the tag addition by general members, tag search in series finder, and full tag list. Just those would require a lot of grounds to be covered.

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I don't see the need to change the status quo. Like, doing this doesn't seem to be worth the effort of going through the tags and again grouping them, and doing some more coding stuff and all... For what? Because, the target benefit people typically don't really use tags that often...

Blitz likes this.
  10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming Tony decides to do it, it shouldn't take much effort on your part to retag anything. The tags already exist. They'd just be redefined as child tags. It would be more of a chore for Tony to figure out how to display them, but it shouldn't require much retagging.

Astaroth likes this.
  11. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    At the very least, a change that gets harder to implement as the site gets bigger.

AliceShiki and Seraphic like this.
  12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the more reason to get it done sooner than later. :blobcheeky:

In all seriousness, I doubt this will ever get done. Grouping the tags is a cool feature. It would make it easier to search, and it would unclutter the tag area on each novel page. That said, I doubt it will ever get done. Tony has bigger fish to fry.

Astaroth, Shio and Nom de Plume like this.
  13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Tony got bigger first to fry.
    2) it is not really that simple to group the tags. Yes, the examples provided make it look simple. But, after maybe subheadings protagonist and Adult, what else? Discussion and deliberation has to take place with every active tagger, and they will all ask the same question: why should we change the current status quo? Will this change positively impact, and do away with all the issues?
    3) there are 790+ tags, and they are mostly constant.

14. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, it's parent-child type of tag. Applicable, but not really compatible with the current tagging system. Tags in nu are editable for anyone, so imagine the horror of having to classify every tag edited