Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Care to elaborate ? so i can judge if i continue this novel or not (already 90% no)
    Also at the end there is a queen arc and i'm terribly afraid to read it.

GOD I HATE the gender bend stuff and have the boy->girl fall in love with a guy.

2. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I randomly selected about 8 chapters after chapter 15 to look for any indication of yuri romance, but didn't see any. I did find a chapter where there was a suggestive situation between a male character and the lead, though.

3. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the only way to make sure is to read through the last chapters (specially the queen arc) but i'm too afraid to do that. ><
    Can you please do it ? Sorry for my shameless request but i really need to know.
    I wonder why she/he put this novel in royalroadl yuri list in the forums of RRl.

Also there is a cross dressing girl so no idea if it was the one you saw (she call her with a "he")

4. Seraphic

Reading List:
    Link
    I looked through a couple Queen Arc chapters and still didn't see anything. In any case, it hasn't been updated for 2 years, so :/

Edit: In any case, I, uh, don't think highly of the quality of later chapters. At the risk of sounding unnecessarily harsh, there's very little reason to read this.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    The Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2018) is now on!

[​IMG]

Those who wish to participate should write an original yuri short story with a minimum of 1500 words and a maximum of 2500 words, and post it in the Community Originals: Community Fiction section of the forum before the 31st of July. Then tell us here that you're entering and what you wrote. Simple! Your story can be any genre.

EDIT: Multiple entries are permitted.

Prizes:
    1st place will win $2000 $3660 $4327 $4937 $5247 $5603 nuffies.
    2nd place will win $1500 $3160 $3827 $4437 $4747 $5103 nuffies.
    3rd place will win $500 $2160 $2827 $3437 $3747 $4103 nuffies.
    (Prize nuffies increased thanks to donations from @Nekorin, @Ddraig (x2), @Fi, and @Melina Red )
    In addition to this, 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place stories will be immortalised in the opening post of the Yuri Garden, with the winner and their story listed there, a link to the story if it still exists, and mention of and links to any related works that the winner might choose to create after the competition, so long as you inform us of their existence.

Rules:
    1. Your story should be an original piece of fiction that has no relation to any works existing, i.e. is not fanfiction and is not a spin off or AU of a story that you have published elsewhere. Your short story cannot have been published anywhere else previously, and cannot be published on other platforms or extended in any way until after the competition results have been announced.
    2. The minimum word count is 1500 words, and the maximum is 2500. I will be strict about this - 1499 is unacceptable, and so is 2501. Your title and any information added at the beginning of your submission to comply with the Community Originals section's rules will not be included in word count.
    3. Your story and submission must comply with the Community Originals: Community Fiction subsection rules, found here, and also NUF's general rules, found here.
    4. No lolicon content, no sexual or sexualised content related to characters under the age of 18, and no rape.
    5. Your story must be yuri.
    6. After submitting your story to the Community Originals: Community Fiction section, post here that you are entering the competition and tell us the title of your piece. I will not automatically assume that a yuri story that appears in that section is an entry so, if you skip this step, you played yourself.
    7. This competition will close at 23:59 on the 30th of July 2018, GMT. Stories submitted after this deadline will not be counted.

Once the deadline passes and I've checked over all the entries to disqualify those that don't conform to the rules, I'll make a post here with the links to the submissions and set up a poll so everyone can vote for their favourite. If there's a tie of any kind, the deciding vote will go to either my sister or my girlfriend (whichever I can rope into reading your stuff).
    The poll will have a deadline, but more on that and the surrounding rules when I actually make it.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    ohko, Ddraig, Yandere Devil and 5 others like this.
  6. Melina Red

Melina Red Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have 1000 nuff I will give my 1,000 nuff for this who write yuri short novel.

Moonpearl likes this.
  7. Nekorin

Nekorin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll add 5k nuffies for the price..
    @Fossil join us.

Moonpearl likes this.
  8. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupid money-grubbing....

Haa, might as well add in 1-5K depending on the quality of the stories submitted.

Moonpearl likes this.
  9. Seraphic

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds good to me. I assume, even if it's posted up in advance, edits are still allowed so long as they are made before the deadline? (who am I kidding, I probably won't finish until three seconds before)

Also, this may be a silly question, but what constitutes yuri in your opinion? Any story with girl x girl love/related themes, or do you have more specific criteria in mind?

10. ChickenBakuba

ChickenBakuba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably anything lesbian?

11. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup - so long as no edits are made after the deadline and it complies with the rules by the time of the deadline, your piece will be accepted. I anticipate a few people needing to edit their submissions after forgetting a rule or two at the time, so I'll only be strict about things once the sorting needs to start.

I have difficulty boiling yuri down to something specific since, whatever example of "not yuri" I can give, there will probably be someone who can actually pull off a yuri like that. For example, I was originally going to say "your MC cannot be a man, and must be part of the yuri", but I realised that would exclude anyone wanting to write a first person, Great Gatsby style narrator observing the romance.

I will say that there should definitely be a significant girl x girl romantic/sexual relationship in your story, whatever role it takes or stage it's at. Just having a girl who likes women and/or flirts with some along the way won't suffice. Your protagonist should also be one of the two (or more) women in that relationship, even if the narrator is someone else, and that relationship and character should receive a good amount of story focus.

So whether you write a schoolgirl trying to woo her crush, a knight questing for the hand of a princess, two girlfriends fighting their way through a sci-fi world, or even if one of the girls is a kidnapped damsel in distress, that should all be fine.
    If you seriously downplay the yuri so that your character is an informed lesbian, or the yuri is only contained within two minor side characters while your main male character goes off and carries out the plot, that's not.

Melina Red, AliceShiki and Seraphic like this.
  12. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    And there you go. I hope nobody else enters, so you give me the nuffies. Also the story might be nice, if a little rushed. :D

https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/a-letter-to-a-future-dream.67049/

13. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Curious... Lately i see some eroges, novels, and amateur mangas about yuri black girl x white girl. Is it a fantasm for some people ? Or they just pair well together compared to black x black ? Also 0 black guy at all, haha (as a protagonist) beside one anime that i forgot the name.

Too tired to post the links to the stuff i found. If you ask nicely maybe i will search again. It's in vndb, royalroadl and in yuri garden.

14. Seraphic

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I was caught between wanting to read it to scope out the competition or not reading it so it wouldn't influence me while I'm trying to write....

Hur hur, curiosity won out.

BB_Tensei likes this.
  15. BB_Tensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't take things too seriously, it's just nuffies. You use those to gamble, you know? Tell me what you think in the thread for the story. :D

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Seraphic

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd use it to gamble if I weren't already N1000 down.... *shakes fist* Damn you, @justabot !

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. BB_Tensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Play RPS like real men do. Hmm maybe RPS themed yuri can work...

Melina Red and AliceShiki like this.
  18. Seraphic

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, well, in RPS' case, I guess I'd be shaking my fist at LysUltima...

AliceShiki and BB_Tensei like this.
  19. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    lurking here
    wish someone translate yuri Cnovel quick transmiggration +rebirth

20. Seraphic

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you have any specific novels in mind? You could try asking over at the Pickup Request section: https://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/novel-pickup-request.1019/

Unfortunately, afaik it's pretty glutted with CN requests so it's hard to find a willing translator.

Melina Red likes this.